Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx Gallery Event Hyperlink

jakschl
5 - Atom

Hi,

is it possible to add a hyperlink in the output message of an app?

Even better would be, if the app on alteryx server would automatically open a browser link. It works with an event in the app, using a ".bat" file. On the alteryx server this does not work.

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Jakob 

11 REPLIES 11
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can do this using the Report Text and Render tools.

If you published this app to server, the user would receive a clickable link once the workflow is finished running.

jakschl
5 - Atom

Hi,

thanks for your answer, this works how you said. But I want it to show to the management. So perfect scenario would be if I can see directly the link in the output message. With this way the output file first has to be opened... Do you if it is possible to show it in the output window?

Best,

Jakob

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Use a Browse tool instead of a Render tool and in the Interface Designer properties choose On Success - Show Results to User and select the Browse.

Or, if you are looking for a management demo, simply publish it to Alteryx Public Gallery and they can see the link without having Alteryx installed on their machine.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/clickable_link/577524263df7da0e58dcf4f5

Jesse_Bernard
7 - Meteor

Mike,

What about doing the exact same thing but instead of google.com, use a local file path or network file path to allow the user to navigate to the results of some data. 

For instance, I am using the Invisio's macro for the .twbx output directly from an alteryx workflow.  The way it works is by saving the .twbx in a new empty folder and I was using a text input interface tool that also updates the dummy value for the text input of your suggestion but I am unable to get the folder to show up when I click the link.  I believe that may be due to the <Link Click Here|[url:A]> in your report text configuration and wanted to see what your thoughts are to hit a file path vs a URL.

Jesse

Coxta45
11 - Bolide

@Jesse_Bernard,

Per @michael_treadwell's earlier reply, you should be able to include a normal output tool on the canvas as use the "On Success - Show results to user" option with your output selected.  This will allow the user to open a copy of the results from the server.  If you want them to be able to open the file from the network location, the best you may be able to do is show them the file path.  I'll let you know if I find a way to show the link to a network location.  

troyfurnace
7 - Meteor

Regarding links to file system, I've gotten it to work in gallery in IE with file:// as it allows for direct links to file system.

However, if you're using Chrome, using "file://" links is disabled.

craigja
8 - Asteroid

I just tried it and it does not display anything once the workflow has completed:

craigja_0-1601045219530.png

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

@jakschl 

I think you're best bet is to use the Reporting tools to generate what you want displayed, then use the Render tool to output a pcxml file

Here's an example.  In a macro that generates the report:

1.png

Render the output:
2.png

The settings:

3.png

The output in our Gallery:

4.png

Good luck!

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Where would I save the output file to - in the folder that I have the workflow or does it need to be a network location (UNC Path) the Alteryx server has access to?

Labels