Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.

PowerBI Report Server Data Loader?

jmelik
8 - Asteroid

Connect has a loader for PowerBI in the cloud, but is there a way to capture PowerBI and by extension SSRS elements that are stored on a MS PowerBI Report Server that on-prem? 

10 REPLIES 10
OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jmelik ,

PowerBI Report Server on prem is technologically different from Azure PowerBI - it has different API, therefore it would need a different metadata loader. Currently such loader is not on the Roadmap. You would like to be adding this one into the Product ideas, so Product owners could add it into engineering backlog.

Ondrej

Connect Team

reduprep
5 - Atom

hey,

Just to check if its not possible with Powerbi server data loader?

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

I see nobody updated this thread. We have released the PowerBI On-Prem loader already, so it is definitely possible now.

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
Nicholas_Sinclair
7 - Meteor

Hi Vojta,

Is this the Power BI Output Tool?

Is there any documentation on how to use this with Power BI Report Server?

Thank you

Nick Sinclair

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Nicholas_Sinclair ,

it's not about tool, but a specific metadata loader, i.e. whole workflow (Analytical app) that comes with Connect in the form of Connect Loaders.

It used to work only for the Power BI cloud server, but now it works for On-Premise Power BI server as well.

v. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi all,

not sure if we are talking about

1. metadata loader for Connect which will extract metadata into data catalog
  2. or connector for Designer to push data (reports, datasets) into PowerBI

In case you are interested in first one (metadata loader) documentation is here:

Ondrej

Nicholas_Sinclair
7 - Meteor

Hi Ondrej,

thank you for your message. 

it is actually the latter I was referring to, the component that will publish data directly from Alteryx to Power BI Report Server. 

thanks

Nick

OndrejC
Alteryx
Alteryx

So it's question to somebody from Data Connector's team. Tagging @bora_perusic.

dbabiac
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Nicholas_Sinclair !

Diana from the Data Connectors team here.

We, unfortunately, don't support connecting to the Power BI Report Server with the Alteryx Power BI Output connector.

We are aware of this limitation and enhancing the connector is on our roadmap, but I'm afraid the Power BI Report Server support won't make it into our 2020 roadmap. I'll tag you in this thread if there will be any pleasant surprises.

Cheers
Diana