Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

PowerBI Lineage

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi there,

I am looking for advice on interpreting the following message on the 'PowerBI Metadata Loader' homepage. In our case we are not succesfully seeing lineage between reports, datasets and ultimately the database and it's tables/columns that connect to those datasets.

I believe this is likely due to this limitation noted by Alteryx:

After removing the DataMashup file by Microsoft for the newly created Power BI reports, the possibility to create a lineage for new Power BI reports has been lost (for new reports). In case you can't see the lineage for your report, republish the report for the lineage to be corrected and re-run the Power BI metadata loader. 

However I'm not sure how to interpret the solution, is it saying that by simply republishing the PowerBI report then the DataMashup file will then become available again? I can't see anything in Microsofts documents that this would be true.

Thanks

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @BenMoss , 
just to reconfirm, you should have the Connect version: 2021.4+
the 2021.4 is using the new PowerBI endpoint (Scanner API)  which basically provide similar information as the removed DataMashup file.

If you have just the report on PoweBI and do not touch it for years, it would probably not be exposed to this end point and thus Connect would not able to see the lineage.
With re-publish we mean you need to refresh a connection in report and publish it again in order to include it in Scanner API.
Hope it explains the missing piece.
referring to Connect release notes: https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/connect/connect-20214-release-notes
Petr

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@PetrHthank you for your response this is helpful, unfortunately we are working with 2021.3 Alteryx Connect.

Can I ask whether it is okay to use Connect 2021.4 with Server 2021.3?

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Or alternatively, can we use the 2021.4 loader with 2021.3 Connect?

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @BenMoss I think, it would be best to use 2021.4 Power bi loader only with 2021.3 connect

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@PetrHthank you for pointing us in the right direction, it looks like the 2021.4 loader on 2021.3 connect will work for us!

Ben