Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

Importing Text File

Sheena_Mae
6 - Meteoroid

Hi! I've been using Alteryx for quite some time now but this is the first time that I have a .txt data (3rd pic) and I'm having troubling importing this to Alteryx. I tried importing it by using this (1st pic) but there is only 1 column (2nd pic). Can you help me import it correctly where I can see all the headers? 

Sheena_Mae_3-1675414177891.png

Sheena_Mae_4-1675414211832.png

Sheena_Mae_5-1675414241397.png

7 REPLIES 7
Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@Sheena_Mae 

It seems that the field separator of your file isn't tab. 

I suggest to use the option "Read it as a fixed width text file" and you will be able to delimit by yourself and then rename the field as you want.

Do not hesitate to provide dummy data with the same structure to test and help you more.

Sheena_Mae
6 - Meteoroid
@Emmanuel_G thank you for the tip, will try this and will also provide dummy data after I had exhausted the suggestion.
Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@Sheena_Mae  You're welcome ! Let us know if the test is ok please.

Sheena_Mae
6 - Meteoroid

@Emmanuel_G sadly, it didn't work out. Can you help me further if it is okay with you? Attaching here the dummy data that I have made similar to the format that I am working on. Thanks a lot.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@Sheena_Mae my recommendation on cases like this would be to use the delimiter 'None' and uncheck the option 'First Row Contains Field Names'. This will bring your data into Alteryx as a single column titled 'Field_1'.

You can then use Alteryx's data preparation and parse tools to bring your data into a table. Tools that would be useful in your case would be the 'Text to columns' and the 'Dynamic Rename'.

Note this is also an Alteryx Designer question, and it is in the 'Alteryx Connect' discussion board. If you re-post into the 'Alteryx Designer' discussion board you would likely get a lot more answers to help you solve your problem!

Ben 

Sheena_Mae
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @BenMoss thanks a lot!

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

@Sheena_Mae
Read as delimited text file
Use Other and enter \0 
That's a zero, not the letter O.

Hope this helps!
David