Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.

How to read a pdf file with Alteryx Designer

ivoiculescu2020
8 - Asteroid

Hello team,

I have a pdf file that I need Alterxy to read it and turn it into an Excel file. I am unable to use the pdf input tool as it shows me all kinds of errors.

I use Alteryx Designer 2021.4.2.07064, do I need to install R packages in order to use the pdf reader tool?

Can you please advise how to read a pdf file with Alteryx and how to install the R packages for this Alteryx version?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Ioana

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I think the official answer that Alteryx would like to see is:
Purchase a license to the Intelligence Suite and use the included tools.

But in reality, that's just using an open source R package with some other stuff.

So, I'd recommend something like this:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/PDF-Input/ta-p/887038

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@ivoiculescu2020 @patrick_mcauliffe 
Patrick is correct.  The only distinction I would add is that the "buying an Alteryx Intelligence Suite (AIS) license and using the PDF to Test tool therein" is the only way to do it that would ensure that you would have the Alteryx Customer Support team to help you if you need help with the process. 

The link Patrick shared was my favorite among the third-party-written .pdf readers.  I believe there is some incompatibility with the latest version of R that you might have to import specific packages for.  (Those are probably discussed in the comments.)  The updating of that tool is not something our Support team can help you with, but the author may be able to, and you can probably figure it out yourself even if the details are not already in the comments.

I wish you success, whatever route you take!

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks @lepome !  I always forget about that whole "support" thing 😁

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@patrick_mcauliffe that is because you, sir, are a power user who is frequently ahead of our newer Customer Support Engineers!  (If you ever find that you want a different job I can put in a recommendation for you!)

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

p.s. to @ivoiculescu2020 If you need the RInstaller for that version, you can write to fulfillment@alteryx.com and share with them your license key (or have them look it up to verify that you have a currently valid license) and they can give you a link from which you can download the installer for that version.

Lisa LePome
Alteryx, Inc.