Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

Custom metadata loader - landing folder customisation options ?

HarryM123
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I have built a custom metadata loader for connect by adapting the alteryx server loader provided by Alteyrx. It uses the same staging tables and Jobs to load into connect.

When the data is loaded in i would like to be able to customise the folder where it lands in the same manner as you would if you had manually created the folder (e.g. change the "Custom name of All Entries group" and "Custom name of Sub-folders group" fields and more)

Is there any way to do this without amending the config files?

I tried creating a manual folder then pointing my loader to it which means i can still modify the folder however the assets i have loaded in do not appear? Am i missing something here or is it my goal not achievable this way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
James_First_Mile
8 - Asteroid

Hi @HarryM123 - it might be something as simple as adjusting the asset type in the folder(s) that you manually set up but it's hard to know without further details.

HarryM123
7 - Meteor

Hey James, thanks for the response,

I have attached the folder set up to this response. The folder is set up as alteryx workflow & all entries as type:alteyrxWorkflow.

When i load it to an non existing folder it generates a folder itself and shows all the assets below but i cannot edit the folder.

Cheers,

Harry

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @HarryM123 I understand the what you want to achieve.
The short answer is NO, it cant be achieved without modification of config files.
However if your intent is to MOVE ALL workflows (custom AND ALSO the workflows from default loader, its technically possible.

If you need to split workwlows with other custom loaded assets, it can be achieved only with config files (and probably database structure) modification. I am afraid that this would not be supported and at your own risk.

The root folder for workflows is beeing searched in sync jov load-alteryx-wf this way:

PetrH_0-1638447019069.png

Basically we search for asset attribute called INTEGRATIION CODE = alteryxworkflows

but if your plan would be to have 2 separeate places for wf and custom assets, you will need 2 sync jobs, and probably 2 sets of stage tables.

Did you considered using VIRTUAL FOLDERS? It might help you...

With best regards,
Petr

Alteryx Connect team

HarryM123
7 - Meteor

Hey Petr,

Thanks for the response,

I am wary of making these changes to the config as it seems it would be a good bit of work and upkeep for future versions, though I appreciate the information !

I have looked into virtual folders and it does not display in the way i would like but i may keep playing around with it as it seems like a less complicated solution.

Do you know if anything is in the works at Alteryx to make it easier to modify loaded folders ?

Cheers,

Harry

PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @HarryM123 , not at this moment. we still works with fixed folder locations sorted by type of asset.

The product people might listen your request if you describe your use case in more details.

Petr