Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.

Alteryx Connect - Reporting Global Changes (CHANGE LOG)

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi everyone,

I am being asked quite frequently by the Connect customers how they can report changes in their Connect installation.

The typical use-cases that I hear:

• Once we finish running a loader (say a SQL Database), we want to see all changes to the database structures
  • We want to see what users are doing in Connect - i.e. changing and creating entries, to track the activity
  • We would like to see all newly created objects so that we can make sure they are properly cataloged and certified
  • We need to make sure that running the loaders did not break any content in the catalog

Even though Connect provides a detailed versioning feature for all the content you load in, there is currently no global view of these changes.

The versioning is accessible in the more menu (ellipsis) on every asset page in Connect. But you get to see only the history/ versions of that currently viewed asset.

Thus, I have created a very simple app in the Designer, which connects to the Connect DB and reports on the changes in your entries/ assets. See it attached.

What it does:

• connects to Alteryx Connect database using ODBC (Postgres driver)
  • reports on all created/ changed/ inactivated (deleted) entries
  • reports on details of changed entries at the key/value (attributes) level
  • let you decide what date range you are interested in seeing changes for
  • output the data to files (ideally YXDB as they can get quite large)

Note that you need to have the ODBC driver for Connect set up. How to do that is described in the workflow itself in the Interface screen.     

I think it should be relatively easy to adjust this to anyone's needs - drop in some filters or whatever you feel like doing :-)

image.png

David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
7 REPLIES 7
戴卫
6 - Meteoroid

This is really very useful.   Is there a way to get hold of the user name not just the xid?

Thanks

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx

The report on the output actually contains all the details of assets, incl. names, their version etc.

David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
bconard1
6 - Meteoroid

Excited to use it... I'm running into an error related to the sql connection... I had ports opened and got error related to sql trying to connect:

[2.635]conn=000002233C01DBA0, query='SET DateStyle = 'ISO';SET extra_float_digits = 2;show transaction_isolation'
[2.689]CONN ERROR: func=PGAPI_DriverConnect, desc='Error from CC_Connect', errnum=110, errmsg='ERROR: Syntax error in SQL statement "SET EXTRA_FLOAT_DIGITS[*] = 2 "; expected "@, AUTOCOMMIT, MVCC, EXCLUSIVE, IGNORECASE, PASSWORD, SALT, MODE, COMPRESS_LOB, DATABASE, COLLATION, BINARY_COLLATION, CLUSTER, DATABASE_EVENT_LISTENER, ALLOW_LITERALS, DEFAULT_TABLE_TYPE, CREATE, HSQLDB.DEFAULT_TABLE_TYPE, PAGE_STORE, CACHE_TYPE, FILE_LOCK, DB_CLOSE_ON_EXIT, AUTO_SERVER, AUTO_SERVER_PORT, AUTO_RECONNECT, ASSERT, ACCESS_MODE_DATA, OPEN_NEW, JMX, PAGE_SIZE, RECOVER, NAMES, SCOPE_GENERATED_KEYS, SCHEMA, DATESTYLE, SEARCH_PATH, SCHEMA_SEARCH_PATH, JAVA_OBJECT_SERIALIZER, LOGSIZE, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS"; SQL statement:
SET extra_float_digits = 2 [42001-197]'

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @bconard1,

Can you please confirm you are using the very exact version of the ODBC Postgres drives as noted in

https://help.alteryx.com/connect/current/Administration/UsageStats.htm?tocpath=Administer%7C_____10

I am quite positive that the H2 connection does not work unless you do.

Also, a good thing to do is to follow the same manual viz above and try to access the DB management console.

This is a good idea to validate whether its DB, or ODBC.

d

David Matyas
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @bconard1 ,

unfortunately the last Postgres ODBC driver compatible with H2 is 09.03.04. Any newer version will lead to the error you've received. 

There has been some modifications in later drivers which H2 is not able to communicate with. 

Vojta T., PM for Data Connectors
Try our Beta data connectors at https://bit.ly/3Ae8HgY
bconard1
6 - Meteoroid
Thanks,
Yes, the version I have installed is 9.06.02.00 a later version... thanks...
I believe we are keeping that up to a later version for our Tableau environment to take advantage of any benefits and compatibilities.

Any suggestions on managing different versions? I'm thinking I'll keep that version on the alteryx gallery server and use the change_log from designer on the server exclusively.

Bart Conard
CNX | Business Intelligence Developer
CNX Center 4D20 | 1000 CONSOL Energy Drive | Canonsburg, PA 15317
(724) 485-3301-w
[cid:image003.png@01D3846D.F5F62F90]
cnx.com

"This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential and privileged information that is subject to the CNX Resources Corporation Business Information Protection Policy. The information is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you are prohibited from any use, distribution, or copying of this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and then delete this communication in its entirety from your system."
bconard1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks,

Yes, the version I have installed is 9.06.02.00 a later version… thanks…