Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Connect Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Connect.
SOLVED

Alteryx Connect Columns Not Editable

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi there,

We are working with the Alteryx Connect platform and have loaded data using the MSSQL and Files loaders. However, we are unable to edit the 'columns' data that is provided (such as adding a description or tags).

I believe the issue is that the columns are being added to a table called 'Columns Metadata' and the actual 'Columns' aren't being added as objects themselves.

In the image below you will see that if I manually add a column to the table ('new field'), it is added into a new section and not the existing 'Columns Metadata' section. Is anyone able to advise on what the issue might be here? How do I load our columns so that they are editable within the platform.

We are using 2021.3 Connect and the 2021.3 Connect Loaders (though we are using 2021.1 Designer).

connect columns.png

Thanks

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
PetrH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @BenMoss , 

In Alteryx Connect columns are treated as a part of table in so called "plain table" and not treated as individual assets.
However, in admin menu performance  / there is checkbox where you can toggle to have columns as individual assets.

PetrH_0-1666794980491.png

If you decide to do so, you even don't need to fully re run the loader, you can just execute sync job in admin menu for load-alteryx-db for databases and load-alteryx-fs for files.

PetrH_1-1666795065615.png

Be aware that with that, you will trigger the creation of potentially millions of assets, which might have big impact on performance, and also database size. There is only one switch at this moment - and its system wide, so you don't have option for having columns only for one system/server.

I believe it was mentioned somewhere in release notes a couple years ago.

hope it help,

Have a great day!

Petr

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@PetrHthank you for this response; noted the performance concerns!

Ben