Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Fix Power BI Output tool to reload an existing dataset without breaking reports

This idea is to fix one of the Power BI Output tool options for existing datasets.

Currently, if the 'Replace existing dataset' option is selected, the dataset is dropped and replaced with one having the same name.  Problem with this is that any reports or dashboards using that dataset become invalid (likely due to a changed internal identifier).

Idea is to change the 'Replace existing dataset' functionality to delete & replace the data within a dataset rather than deleting & replacing the dataset itself.

This behavior is described in the following thread & flagged as 'solved' although the workaround isn't practical as a true solution to the issue.  We'd like to see this supported more seamlessly via Alteryx.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Publish-to-Power-BI-breaks-linked-Powe...

9 Comments
kennethkwong
6 - Meteoroid

I strongly support this idea.

Dhuyvetter
5 - Atom

This would be incredibly helpful.

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @hornungr ,

that's quite unfortunate solution for overwriting for sure. 

We will fix this in the next version of the connector.

Thank you,

Vojta, Product Manager

Data Connectors

DanHare
11 - Bolide

Please fix this !  Thanks.

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi everyone, I am very pleased to announce that the new version of the Power BI connector has been released and can be downloaded from our Gallery

The new version lets you select a workspace you want to work with, supports multiple multiple tables in a dataset, lets you overwrite, update, append or upsert data without breaking your dashboards and work in environments with proxy server as well. 

The most recent Alteryx Designer and Server, i.e. the 2021.2 version, is required. 

Vojta, PM for Data Connectors

Dhuyvetter
5 - Atom

Outstanding! I can't wait to test this out.

kennethkwong
6 - Meteoroid

Great Work!

hornungr
7 - Meteor

@VojtechT -  The release notes on the download page say the updated output tool is compatible with designer version 2021.3 and later.  Is that a typo?

Thanks!

AlteryxPowerBIOutputTool.JPG

VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @hornungr , unfortunately not. 😒

Recently we found out that the changes needed in order to successfully publish a wf with the connector into Server did not make it into 21.2.

But if you plan to use it only in Designer, then you can use any Designer not older than 20.4.