Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Community Ideas

What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!

Better process for updating Ideas status/tracking accepted or under review ideas

Hello all,

The process for updating Ideas status looks like a mess :
-Some ideas are implemented but not updated (I had to PM @JessL who nicely did it). And since the release notes are not complete as well, I wasn't aware one my ideas was released until a friend of mine showed me it works !

-Some ideas (at least several dozens) are Under review or Accepted for several years (more than 4 years)

Ideas status are very important for me, it gives customers an idea of the roadmap. This also helps to know where a release will bring features we need.

So please bring up to date status and maybe more transparency on how you deal wih ideas.

Best regards,

Simon

6 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Tagging @NicoleJ for visibility

It might be that the options are constrained by what the Community platform can provide, but I agree it would be great to see a pipeline of ideas, what’s been accepted and the anticipated release version, and when it’s released a link through the release notes. 

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Love the feedback! We are actively working on a new process for keeping ideas up to date (on the Designer side in particular), including cleaning up a pretty sizeable backlog of ideas that need updates - part of the challenge is that there is no small number of duplicate ideas, so while we might have marked the "main" idea as implemented, there might be some other similar/related ones out there that got missed as part of that update. Completely agree however that Idea status is helpful information for customers to get a sense of what we are working on, but only if it's accurately maintained! 😀

Outside of just cleaning up the idea statuses, are there other ideas for how we can better communicate progress to the Alteryx Community? @cgoodman3 while we might not be able to call out anticipated release version for *reasons*, I do think it could be interesting to tie versions to some of the previously released items, could maybe see trends over time on the types of ideas implemented in past releases. I do recall some notifications in the past in monthly Community update posts or release posts where ideas are called out as implemented. 

Are there other recommendations from Community for ways this data could be displayed that would be interesting/useful to you?

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @NicoleJ and thanks for your answer. Having a product owner commenting on the idea when it's on roadmap or in development is something I appreciate for Qlik Sense. This looks like someone really take the topic and not only a generic thing.

Best regards,

Simon

JessL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

@simonaubert_bd  Thank you for your feedback, we are actively reviewing our processes. We're aiming to have a new process in place soon for Product Ideas but do not currently know what it will look like. I will send an update when we have more insight of how we are going to move forward. 

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@JessL @NicoleJ  I noticed a little improvement with the 2022.3 release with Nicole updating some status. But there is still this HUUUUUUUUUGE backlog of ideas that are "under review"/"accepted"/"ongoing"/"coming soon" for years. Also, the "Comments requested" are often still on the status while the author has answered the questions.

Best regards,

Simon

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks for calling this out @simonaubert_bd - we know there is a backlog, and we are working our way through it (which is why you saw all the updated status posts last week!) but please do keep in mind that this is a manual validation process to determine the correct status - has it been implemented already, and when? Or is it currently on the roadmap? Or is it a great idea, but we need to wait for the right opportunity to implement? Which internal team does it belong to, who would be better equipped to respond? And  we're doing all this review & cleanup while actively adding new functionality & features, and even the "easiest" idea requires a great amount of collaboration across development and support teams to make sure we get it right from all angles 😊 We LOVE working with data, but when it's really great, innovative, unstructured data like these Community ideas, we want to make sure we are giving you all the right responses, so a bit of extra research may be required, especially in cases where the idea has been out there for a while. Excited that you will see more results from this ongoing cleanup effort in the coming year, however. And in the meantime, do keep the ideas coming! 

Thanks for being such a valuable part of our Alteryx Community!!