Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Auto Insights Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Auto Insights
Get started with

Alteryx Auto Insights

Lesson 1

Introduction to Alteryx Auto Insights

Lesson 2

Understanding Data with Alteryx Auto Insights

SOLVED

Row-Based Permissions vs Filtering in the Mission ?

dimkavid
Alteryx
Alteryx

Why and when would I want to utilize row-based permissions when I can just add the specific criteria to my Mission configuration and share the specific insights, without having to maintain groups be in the Admin Portal? 

Row-Based Permission

dimkavid_2-1667596004683.png

vs.

Filtering in the Mission

dimkavid_1-1667595923428.png

David Kim
Customer Success Manager
Alteryx
3 REPLIES 3
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@dimkavid I may be wrong but my take on this would be:

Row-Based Permission are for security for instance, for legal reasons I shouldn't be able to look at any row's/legal cases from client x. Even if you filtered in the mission to remove client x the user will still be able to go into search and remove that filter therefore Row-Based Permissions are required. 

dimkavid
Alteryx
Alteryx

When it comes to having the user see a SPECIFIC Mission concerning just a subset of the dataset, both of these options work equally as well. When they receive the Mission in their inbox or click into it in Auto Insights, they will be able to see just the operating expenses for Brussels. But outside of these two scenarios, is where things change. 

Setting Row-Based Permissions (ROP) allows for greater security/control as well as scalability.  And really the decision to use one option over the other, comes down to your use case and the requirements you have of your dataset and the stakeholders. 

Security & Control: 

ROP is applied at the dataset level. This means that if you were to leave the Mission and go to Discover or Search, you still would only have access to the data records that match whatever criteria is defined in your ROP.. In contrast to the other option of filtering in the Mission which is done at the Mission level. If one of your Mission viewers were to go to Discover or start a new Search/Mission, they will have access to the entire dataset - which can be a potential risk as well as just a confusing experience for the Viewer if they are unsure how to navigate and don't understand why the insights have changed. 

Scalability: 

Additionally if you had a dataset that required each team to only be able to view their data and there were a total of 10 teams - if you were filtering in the Mission level for each, you would have to create and manage 10 separate Missions. But if you were applying ROP, you can create one universal Mission and share it out to all the teams. The ROP would be applied accordingly where each team only sees their data and you only have to manage 1 Mission and subscription. 

David Kim
Customer Success Manager
Alteryx
dimkavid
Alteryx
Alteryx

That is absolutely right! Not every use case will require that level of security though so its not always mandatory to use it. 

David Kim
Customer Success Manager
Alteryx