Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Migrating data from local machine to Microsoft Azure cloud

Bhavya9
5 - Atom

Hii everyone

I am running my alteryx flow in local machine till now. but i want to migrate all my data to microsoft azure cloud. so i want to know about the steps how to migrate the data and any best alternatives to azure also needed.

please post the comments if you have idea on it.

Thanks in advance !

2 REPLIES 2
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

What you are hinting at isn't a small thing. But let me start with a bunch of questions to get you an answer 😄

Assume you have Azure available?

You will need the ability to setup a VM with Windows on it. Alteryx doesn't run natively on Azure

What do you mean all your data? Your data processing? 

Hope this helps!

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Bhavya9, tagging along on what @joshuaburkhow mentioned - this topic can be a wide-ranging one, but I too will attempt to provide some general guidance.

I would typically break this down into two different areas - 

• Moving your infrastructure to Azure
  • Moving your data to Azure

Both are possible, both would work with Alteryx solutions. In the first example, moving infrastructure, by that I mean, currently when you run Alteryx Designer, you mentioned you run it on your local machine. There are offerings from Azure that allow you to host your desktop on Azure, so you can run applications (Alteryx included) from a remotely hosted environment. For the second example, data can be leveraged both locally (as you are probably doing now) as well as from cloud sources such as Azure, provided you have connectivity to said cloud data source, and the rights to access that data source.

Depending on your situation, your next steps will be dictated by your requirements. If you are planning on continuing to run Alteryx locally on your desktop, but changing your source of data to ones in Azure, your workflows will need to be changed to reflect the new location. If instead you are planning on shifting infrastructure, i.e., moving your physical desktop environment to a virtual one hosted by Azure, you will need to move your Alteryx installation, and then most likely, will also need to adjust your workflows to reflect new locations of the data sources and outputs.

As mentioned, a broad topic for sure, but hopefully this provides some high-level guidance.

Labels