Past Analytics Excellence Awards

Excellence Awards 2016: Mark Frisch - Macros for the Good of All Alteryx Users

Author: Mark Frisch (@MarqueeCrew), CEO

Company: MarqueeCrew

Awards Category: Name Your Own - Macros for the Good of All Alteryx Users

Describe the problem you needed to solve 

Creation of samples goes beyond random and creating N'ths.  It is crucial that samples be representative of their source populations if you are going to draw any meaningful truth from your marketing or other use cases.  After creating a sample set, how would you verify that you didn't select too many of one segment vs another?  If you're using Mosaic (r) data and there are 71 types to consider did you get enough of each type?

image004.png

Describe the working solution

Using a chi-squared test, we created a macro and published the macro to the Alteryx Macro District as well as to the CReW macros  (www.chaosreignswithin).  There are two input anchors (Population and Sample) and the configuration requires that you select a categorical variable from both inputs (the same variable content).  The output is a report that tells you if your representative or not (includes degrees of freedom and the Chi square results against a 95% confidence interval).

image005.jpg

Describe the benefits you have achieved

My client was able to avoid the costly mistake that had plagued their prior marketing initiative and was setup for success.  I wanted to share this feature with the community.  It would be awesome if it ended up helping my charity, the American Cancer Society.  Although this isn't quite as sexy as my competition, it is sexy in it's simplicity and geek factor.

image006.jpg