Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
EricR

I joined Alteryx on June 27th of this year, as part of the certification team.  Since a major component of my job is creating and updating questions for the Alteryx certification exams, my first priority was to learn Designer (from scratch) and pass the Core exam.  Others in the office told me that people often fail their first attempt and that a month was a reasonable time frame for passing the exam but being overly competitive I wanted to exceed those expectations. 

Thus began my journey to the core…

CristonS_0-1571819598270.png

I decided to start by studying all of the core interactive lessons.  When I say study, I mean study.  Pausing, rewinding, and taking copious amounts of notes.

giphy[1].gif

I figured it was better to put in the time now than have to revisit the lessons for all the bits of information I should have written down the first time.  (I must confess as a former high school math teacher, I truly appreciate organized, detailed notes, and once said out loud in front of an auditorium full of students, “My god that’s a beautiful notebook…”)

giphy[1].gif

After completing the interactive lessons, I started playing with the tools one at a time in Designer, experimenting with the configurations and trying to get different results.  When I couldn’t achieve my desired outcomes, I went through the One Tool Examples within Designer or visited the Tool Mastery Index on Community.  On the rare occasion the answer wasn’t in either of those, it was usually in Community or the Alteryx Designer Discussion boards.

After that, I attempted my first weekly challenge

CristonS_1-1571819598293.jpeg

However, being still relatively green to the software and the weekly challenges, I bombed the first one.  I was completely stuck and had to give up and just look at the solutions others had posted.  Going through the different workflows was really beneficial though.  I could see how similar tasks could be performed in several tools and I started understanding the configuration settings even better.  (Note: If you find yourself getting stuck with workflows at the beginning, go through some of the sample workflows located in Designer under the Help menu.  Also make sure to pick a challenge that is at your level, as opposed to starting off with an intermediate spatial challenge because you liked the pun in the title.)

CristonS_2-1571819598338.png

Once I started making wiser choices with my weekly challenge selections, things started going smoother.  I was getting solutions and feeling more confident, but I still downloaded other people’s workflows to see how I could do things more efficiently or to learn more about the capabilities within given tools.  Once I successfully completed a few intermediate challenges, I decided to look more into the specifics of the Core exam.  The interactive and pdf versions of the Core Certification Exam Prep Guide have a good overview of what to expect on the test and helped me identify areas where I needed to spend more time.  (Among other things I needed to explore the buttons on the left of the configuration window and on top of the results window.  I also needed to go through the Comment and Container tools.)

The next few days were spent doing two things: completing weekly challenges and watching videos on the Academy page.  In particular, I found the Core Certification Prep Part IV video to be extremely helpful.  You get a sneak peek of the testing interface, along with answers to commonly asked questions.  There are also a handful of practice exam questions.  After watching that video, I felt comfortable with my understanding and what to expect on the exam.  I informed my manager I would take the test the next day.

On the morning of the exam, I spent the first few hours going over last-minute challenges, help documents, and the prep guide.  I was confident but still nervous.  After logging into Community, entering my name, the email associated with my Community account, and my Community Username (plug for the cert team, make sure this info is accurate!), I clicked start.  I was relieved that the interface looked exactly as promised, and then I looked at the first question…

giphy[1].gif

Even though I had been warned this test was not easy, I was startled to be stuck on the first question.  I sat up straighter in my seat, my heart rate jumped, my palms got sweaty, and I started doubting all the confidence I had just moments before.  And then it clicked, this is an open book test!  I have spent hours going through all the help documentation, I can find almost anything.  I gave the question a second read through, isolated the portion that I was unsure of, and a few mouse clicks later I had my answer.  I would like to say this was the only question where that happened, but that would be a lie.  Some of the questions test your understanding of the details in the tools that aren’t apparent even with regular use.  I really liked this aspect of the test though, because it forced me to dig deeper into the tool while taking the test. 

I was learning and testing at the same time.

There were also some questions that I couldn’t figure out within a short amount of time, so I set those aside.  The testing interface leaves unanswered questions in a different color, so when you are finished with the others you can easily go back to the questions that were left blank.  I had ten to fifteen minutes left when I started going through my skipped questions.  There was one “Select all that apply” question that took a significant amount of time.  I knew one answer worked, but I was on the fence about another.  In the end, I decided to go with just the one answer since selecting a choice that doesn’t work incurs a penalty.

With about five minutes left I clicked the submit button… of course I didn’t do that.  I had five minutes left.  What kind of hypocrite former teacher would I be if I didn’t go back and review my answers?!  I checked as many answers as I could before the time ran out.  I didn’t want to be the user that submitted their test with time left over and failed with a 79% (ooh, that might hit close to home for some users).

The results screen popped up, and I had passed.  What a sense of relief.  I had tried to stay calm during the exam and simply put forth my best effort, but my desk neighbor Terry probably witnessed something more like…

giphy[1].gif

But I passed.  After nine days on the job, I was Alteryx Designer Core Certified.

Keep in mind that this pace is not normal, and the time it takes to pass the exam is largely dependent on the amount of time you spend learning Designer.

CristonS_3-1571819598340.jpeg

Most people don’t have the opportunity to devote six hours a day to learning Designer - as I did - and as a result, it will probably take longer to get certified.  However, if you are in the position to grant a new employee or a colleague the time to do a focused deep dive into Designer, do it!  I found it tremendously beneficial to have a chunk of time dedicated to Designer each day as opposed to spreading it out more gradually.  I felt like I was able to build momentum and make fluid connections between the lessons, help documents, and challenges, rather than only biting off a small piece each day and struggling to retain the concepts long term from a lack of practice.

I’m excited to continue growing on my Alteryx journey in order to improve upon and expand our certification offerings for all our users.  Onward to the Advanced Certification!

Comments
CatherineM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you so much for sharing and writing this amazing post @EricR! Definitely sharing this with some of our Alteryx User Group Leaders who are interested in becoming certified by the end of this year! 

-- Cat Martinez

User Groups Coordinator 

MacrosGrant
5 - Atom

Thank you for providing the extra motivation I needed and for the laughs (your GIF game is great!).  Congrats on passing in 9 days, I now realise I need to spend more time on learning the tools inside and out and making notes.

EricR

Thanks @CatherineM and @MacrosGrant!  Glad you enjoyed it!  The key is to put in the time, know your help resources thoroughly, and take advantage of all 2 hours.

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@EricR Great post!  I'm definitely going to share this with new users who are prepping for Core certification!  Congrats on your cert!

emreyuksel
5 - Atom

Thank you for informations @EricR

EricR

I'm glad you enjoyed the article @Dynamomo and @emreyuksel!  Since I took my exam in July, we have a brand new Getting Started Learning Path that incorporates many of the components I mentioned into one guided course.  It's a tremendous new resource!

Julianna
6 - Meteoroid

Amazing article! Thank you 🙂

Storm_Stark
5 - Atom

Thanks,

I followed your advice and was able to clear it in a week with 90.6 in the first attempt.

Thanks for sharing

tinhtran
6 - Meteoroid

@EricR Thanks for the awesome 1st day of training.  

jgosalia
7 - Meteor

Thanks Eric for going through the practical pathway to core certification.  This insight is very helpful.

TuV
5 - Atom

Thanks for sharing your study path. It was very practical and I would take your advise seriously. 

jsegall
5 - Atom

Thanks for sharing Eric. Question - do you need the full license to pass? I'm able to get the trial but I'm not going to be able to get the license unless my employer pays for it.

EricR

Hi @jsegall ,

You don't need the full license to pass, but you will need access to Designer in order to answer the practical application questions on the exam.  If your goal is to earn the certification with just the trial license, be strategic about the timing. You will need to spend a significant period of time in Designer during those few weeks in order to master alll of the functions covered on the exam.

All the best,

Eric

Alteryx Certification Team

Atrafna
5 - Atom

Thank you for sharing,

I needed something like this as I went through all the interactive core sessions but I felt I was non the wiser. 

Very helpful!!

JoRao
8 - Asteroid

@EricR What a great post! So informative and to the point! Really liked how you outlined your process. I have been on the fence about taking the certification exam although I use and love Alteryx a lot! You inspired me!!

EricR

Hi @JoRao ,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article!  Absolutely give the exam a try!  They aren't easy, but you will learn a lot just from taking them.  They can be fun and when you are done you will have a well earned certification to add to your resume.

I would recommend starting with the Getting Started Learning Path instead of just going through the Interactive lessons as the learning path creates a more robust curriculum.  Feel free to message certification@alteryx.com if you have any questions along the way and good luck!

All the best,

Eric

daranges
5 - Atom

How many hours you have put in daily to complete 

moray
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Eric,

I received a very interesting and thoughtfully designed end-of-year 2020 wrap-up email from Alteryx today and it has triggered me to post here.

Your article sent me on my way when I studied for the Core Certification exam, and I thought I should share my own experience. 

When I study for things I always try to consolidate as much as I can onto one sheet of paper. 

In this case it is A3 rather than A4. Here it is!

Best regards,

Moray Barclay

Director

Dataweaving Ltd

moray.barclay@dataweaving.co.uk

Dataweaving_Alteryx_Cert_Prep_Landscape.jpg

EricR

Hi @moray ,

This is fantastic!  The organization, the details, the color coding, the logical flow...this is an exemplar of a truly beautiful noteboook.  Well done, congrats on your certification, and thank you for sharing!

All the best,

Eric

ColinChui
5 - Atom

I utilize this as a study guide and preparation. Thank you for sharing this and it helped me passed my certification.

Colin_C

Sema
5 - Atom

Thanks

Inactive User
Not applicable

Is it necessary to go over every Tool Mastery article in the curriculum? Do they appear frequently in the Core Certification Exam? I'm now going over the interactive lessons, exercises and weekly challenges. I'm also using external resources such as YouTube to learn the tools. I haven't read through those Tool Mastery articles yet because I feel like it's much better learning by doing for me. I need to pass the Core Certification Exam.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Very informative post! You're right - I should have jogged some notes down when I went over the interactive lessons following the Getting Started with Designer learning path at the first time.

Thank you for the guidance on this . Really helpful for the certification process