Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

This is the second post in a series we are doing on the Alter.Nation blog. Each week we will spotlight a different Alteryx ACE so you can get to know them better. 

ACEs (3).png

Today’s ACE spotlight is @patrick_digan! Keep reading to learn more about Patrick and what makes him a unique Alteryx super user. 

Tell us a bit about your professional background. 

I'm an actuary. I started out doing pensions and switched to the insurance industry a few years ago. I was pretty good at Excel when I switched industries, but I quickly realized that the data was too big for Excel. My company used both Access and Alteryx at the time, so I decided I had to learn one of these tools. I tried out both, and Alteryx was a clear choice. Since then, my company has grown our Alteryx footprint from 5 designers to 50+ designers and a server.

What is one fun thing about you that community members might not know? 

I'm a third-generation Domer (University of Notre Dame).

What is your favorite Alteryx tool, and why? 

It's hard to pick just one...so I won't; instead, my favorite thing about Alteryx is reference shortcuts. They are so powerful, and yet they are very underutilized.  Reference shortcuts are also easier to debug—just put test values in the config window. They allow you to have fewer tools in your workflow and are easier to use than action tools. In fact, I wrote a blog article on why you should use reference shortcuts!

Setting up test reference shortcut valuesSetting up test reference shortcut values

What has been your favorite Alteryx project? 

We were using an Excel add-in, and it had a number of issues (speed, reliability, reproducibility). We switched to using the Alteryx Server API. It took a lot of trial and error to get the API working, so it felt really good once we completed the project.

What is your favorite Alteryx memory? 

Definitely Nashville Inspire 2019. It was my first Inspire conference, and it was surreal meeting people in person.

We got baseball jerseys as ACE swag. I came back walking in the hotel hallway late at night and got stopped because they saw my name on the jersey and realized I had answered their question on community. Meeting people in person whom you interacted online with was fun and unexpected. The camaraderie and similar mindset were cool; it was easy to find common ground with everyone at the conference.

What advice do you have for new community members?

Everyone who is an Alteryx expert was once a beginner. Learn as much as you can from others so that you can gain knowledge and then pass it on to other new users.

What is your favorite way to engage as an ACE? Also, what area of the online community do you spend the most time in?

I really like the ideas board. It's fun to see other people's perspectives on how the product(s) can be enhanced. There are so many great ideas out there for the Alteryx team to work on.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 12.31.00 PM.png

Silly question... if you were a kitchen appliance/utensil, what would you be and why? 

Can opener. I eat a lot of canned foods, and there is nothing worse than canned food when you don't have a can opener.

Ok, now finally, let’s do a quick “This or That” to get to know your Alteryx preferences!

This or That Alteryx Edition (Instagram Story) (4).png

Tune in next week to meet another amazing ACE!

Want to learn more about what ACEs do and how to become one? Check out this page to see details about the program.

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Comments
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

#TeamHorizontal

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

My @patrick_digan memories are: 1) when I first started participating in Weekly Challenges, I would always look for his solutions, because I always learned something new! I'm pretty sure that was how I first learned about reference shortcuts years ago. 2) Participating in #AlteryxofCode 2019. I was one one of only a few non-ACEs participating, and Patrick was welcoming and encouraging... and I learned new tricks from his solutions there, too!

shannonem
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This made my little heart happy because it's so true @patrick_digan: "Everyone who is an Alteryx expert was once a beginner. Learn as much as you can from others so that you can gain knowledge and then pass it on to other new users." 

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

@patrick_digan

Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great spotlight! Very interesting answer to favourite Alteryx tool. 

DataNath
17 - Castor

Another great ACE spotlight! Was totally unaware of reference shortcuts so will definitely have a read of the blog and take a look into these! Horizontal layout is so-so but I'm not sure I can get over straight line connections! Looking forward to reading the next one of these.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@DataNath Maybe the straight connections are like an acquired taste :)