Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

ACEs (32).png

Today’s ACE spotlight is @Qiu! Keep reading to learn more about Jifeng and what makes him a unique Alteryx super user.

 

Tell us a bit about your professional background. 

I work with an EPC company that performs engineering, procurement, and construction of chemical plants. My role is the administrator of the 3D model of the chemical plant, with the Smart 3D software of Hexagon. We are using Alteryx to retrieve data from the 3D model database and perform blending and reporting work. The repeatable, easy-to-trace, and easy-to-configure feature of Alteryx has been making my work so much easier. Recently we have been doing some new challenges to implement our engineering design rules into Alteryx flows to perform some design QC check and modeling work, then feedback to the 3D model via an API. We can already see some promising results.

What is one fun thing about you that community members might not know? 

After 10+ years, I started to play futsal (soccer) with friends again. It took about one month for me to get recovery from muscle pain. But I really enjoy it.

MeganDibble_0-1669132847467.png

What is your favorite Alteryx tool, and why? 

It is difficult to just pick one. But if I have to, maybe the Formula tool. It gives almost infinite possibilities by combining so many functions.

What has been your favorite Alteryx project? 

I spent my one-week holiday, "Golden Week," developing a workflow to get material take-off (MTO) for the piping supports of a 3D model. The workflow covers all the important steps of the data process, such as connecting to a database, data cleansing, data blending, and reporting. The input data was not in good shape, but I managed to sort it out and get satisfactory results. Again, I have to say—the workflow is repeatable. When I was asked to provide the MTO, it just took 3 minutes. It felt so good.

What is your favorite Alteryx memory? 

When I was reached out to be a candidate for the ACE program.

When someone first introduced Alteryx workflows to me, I had some questions. So I began to ask questions on the community, and people would respond quickly with exactly the help I needed. I noticed the ACE symbol next to some of the user IDs, and I looked up the term. I thought being an expert was out of my reach.

But later, I began answering questions on the community and helping people. And then providing ideas for weekly challenges. And I really enjoyed it! When Alteryx reached out about being in the ACE program, I said yes, I am interested.

What advice do you have for new community members?

Weekly Challenges are a good starting point for getting to know Alteryx itself. And don’t hesitate to ask if there is a question. There are so many community members who are always willing to assist.

What is your favorite way to engage as an ACE? Also, what area of the online community do you spend the most time in?

I still love to look around in the discussion forum, especially the Designer channel. I can not only help with some questions, but I also check the accepted solutions provided by others to learn or provide comments.

Silly question... if you were a kitchen appliance/utensil, what would you be and why? 

Maybe a fry pan, which can be used in many ways, just like Alteryx :)

MeganDibble_1-1669132885764.png

Ok, now finally, let’s do a quick “This or That” to get to know your Alteryx preferences!

This or That Alteryx Edition (Instagram Story) (45).png

Tune in next week for another spotlight article!

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Comments
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I'm seeing a trend in this blog series with the favorite Alteryx tool😊

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hello @Qiu ,

I think Qiu-san's hobby is making workflow by Alteryx because Golden week is a longest Japanese holiday in May.

By the way, is the mountain in the photo of Qiu-san barbecuing Mt.Fuji?

DataNath
17 - Castor

Another great read and a very interesting use-case for Alteryx with the job you do! Really nice to see that you found the community through necessity and have now become a super user yourself! Thanks for all the discussions/solutions! :)

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Great post!!!

Got to know we can use Alteryx for 3D model database also. 

Good to know more about Jifeng Qiu.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@AkimasaKajitani 
Yes, It is near the Mountain Fuji and the view was a blast!