Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Experian Individual level Data & Trade areas

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all:

I have been tasked with trying to understand the demographics (income, gender, age...etc) of people that reside within a certain distance of our store locations. I have defined polygons around our locations however when I use the Calgary join tool it seems the Index field is grayed out - and I cant query the data. 

This does NOT occur when I use the Experian Household file. I can make the selection and the query runs.  

Using Experian Individual FileUsing Experian Individual FileUsing Experian Household FileUsing Experian Household File

I want individual level demographics to have the ability to aggregate up if need be. 

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer....

4 REPLIES 4
LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Experian Individual file is not delivered with a spatial object like the Household file, however, addresses are provided. You can geocode the Individual file then do a spatial match to your polygons. Probably not as efficient as a Calgary join.

A more involved option is creating a link between the Household and Individual files to tap into the HH spatial object then use the Calgary Join. 

JeradR
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jnash Definitely use the Calgary Join method for the fastest processing.  First join via the spatial index within the HH file, then a second Calgary Join tool joining to the Individual file using the HH_ZeroBasedRecordID as the Input field and the index field.  Be sure that your join Action is set up properly: Calgary Join.

CalgaryJoins.png

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your feedback. I was unaware that the household file came with a spatial object unlike the individual file. This method did work but as you pointed out it did take a long time. Another user pointed out to join the individual file on their household ID which was very efficient. Thank you for your assistance and helping me better understand - I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

jnash
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you - worked great and was exactly what I need. I greatly appreciate your insight!

Labels