Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Recognizing the names of files and the number of them

McGregor89
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

maybe someone can help me solving this problem.

I am doing data quality audits. for clients.

1 client has a lot of data delivered monthly by many markets. Let's say that Polish market is sending data for ABC client for July.

That means that the filename will be PLABC707  (PL-Poland, ABC - Client, 707 - period; 7=2017, 07=July).

For the UK it will be UKABC707 and so on.

So I have one folder when all this data is being loaded. I have a list of markets I could expect to appear there. The data can come partly today, then 1/3 tomorrow, the rest the next day after. It's complicated to grab each day the part of loaded data and put them to separate subfolders.

My question is: can I create a workflow that will be creating the list of markets which had submitted their data?

As an input, we will have the folder with data loaded by markets.

Would be perfect if somebody gives me a hint.

Many thanks for reading,

Greg

2 REPLIES 2
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @McGregor89,

Yes the Directory Tool can give you a list of all the filenames within the directory.  Feed this list into a formula tool to select the left-most two characters and/or to parse the file names any which way.  The main thing is quickly getting the list of file names.  (The info returned includes the creation date for the file, so if you need to include that in your decisions, you can).

Hope that helps!

McGregor89
6 - Meteoroid

Perfect!

It works. You cannot imagine how that will fasten the process.

Thank you,

Greg

Labels