Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R-tool, ggbuild and alteryx - writing output

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi guys,

I have written some code that allows me to create a violin plot in R Studio using the ggplot package.

It's quite simple...

ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range,X))+ geom_violin()

LifeExpectancy being my data set. Range being my categories and X being my measure.

I have inputted this into the R-tool in alteryx and have succesfully recreated the plot (adding code that calls and activates the ggplot package).

However, the aim of was to be able to recreate a violin plot in Tableau, and use alteryx to manipulate the data to do so.

I have written a code which pulls the data I need to do so.

ggplut_build(ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range,X))+ geom_violin())

In R-Studio I can write a code using the Marray tool which allows me to output this as a file called "Violin", i can then input this data set and create a workflow in alteryx that solves the problem I need.

write.list(ggplot_build(ggplot(Life,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin()), filename = "Violin", append = FALSE, closefile = TRUE, outfile)

However, I cannot write a code within the alteryx R-Tool that succesfully provides me with a written output which then goes straight into my tableau manipulation workflow.

Does anyone have any solutions that I could try, or any experience writing complex outputs with the R-Tool in alteryx? I beleive the solution is to some how manipulate the ggplot_build (which outputs as a list) into a data frame, which I beleive can be outputted within the R-tool.

Any help is appreciated!

Documents that may help are attached.

ViolinBuild.yxmd - my alteryx workflow which turns my written file output from R into a tableau suitable format.

R-Tool.yxmd - my workflow that uses the R-Tool to install the ggplot package and then run the ggplot_build function.

LifeExpectancy.csv - my dataset

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Issue resolved by replacing the write.list function which would succesfully output in R-Studio with the layer_data tool.

So changing... 

write.list(ggplot_build(ggplot(Life,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin()), filename = "Violin", append = FALSE, closefile = TRUE, outfile) 

to

layer_data(ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin() , i = 1L)

Thanks to Phil Lowe of The Information Lab for his help.

Ben

SumeetBedekar
5 - Atom

Hi Ben,

Hope are doing good !

Finally I trapped you on Alteryx Community. (I tried to connect with you on YouTube (comment section of Youtube), Linkedin and Twitter.)

I wanted to understand this magical process.

How do I approach Violin and Contour plots in Tableau ?

Thanks,

Sumeet

*** Note :- I am new user to Alteryx :(

Labels