Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R-tool, ggbuild and alteryx - writing output

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi guys,

I have written some code that allows me to create a violin plot in R Studio using the ggplot package.

It's quite simple...

ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range,X))+ geom_violin()

LifeExpectancy being my data set. Range being my categories and X being my measure.

I have inputted this into the R-tool in alteryx and have succesfully recreated the plot (adding code that calls and activates the ggplot package).

However, the aim of was to be able to recreate a violin plot in Tableau, and use alteryx to manipulate the data to do so.

I have written a code which pulls the data I need to do so.

ggplut_build(ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range,X))+ geom_violin())

In R-Studio I can write a code using the Marray tool which allows me to output this as a file called "Violin", i can then input this data set and create a workflow in alteryx that solves the problem I need.

write.list(ggplot_build(ggplot(Life,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin()), filename = "Violin", append = FALSE, closefile = TRUE, outfile)

However, I cannot write a code within the alteryx R-Tool that succesfully provides me with a written output which then goes straight into my tableau manipulation workflow.

Does anyone have any solutions that I could try, or any experience writing complex outputs with the R-Tool in alteryx? I beleive the solution is to some how manipulate the ggplot_build (which outputs as a list) into a data frame, which I beleive can be outputted within the R-tool.

Any help is appreciated!

Documents that may help are attached.

ViolinBuild.yxmd - my alteryx workflow which turns my written file output from R into a tableau suitable format.

R-Tool.yxmd - my workflow that uses the R-Tool to install the ggplot package and then run the ggplot_build function.

LifeExpectancy.csv - my dataset

Ben

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Issue resolved by replacing the write.list function which would succesfully output in R-Studio with the layer_data tool.

So changing... 

write.list(ggplot_build(ggplot(Life,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin()), filename = "Violin", append = FALSE, closefile = TRUE, outfile) 

to

layer_data(ggplot(LifeExpectancy,aes(Range, X))+ geom_violin() , i = 1L)

Thanks to Phil Lowe of The Information Lab for his help.

Ben

SumeetBedekar
5 - Atom

Hi Ben,

Hope are doing good !

Finally I trapped you on Alteryx Community. (I tried to connect with you on YouTube (comment section of Youtube), Linkedin and Twitter.)

I wanted to understand this magical process.

How do I approach Violin and Contour plots in Tableau ?

Thanks,

Sumeet

*** Note :- I am new user to Alteryx :(

Labels