Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Predictive Tools

macabrera
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am preparing a set of examples using each predictive tool, so i can learn better the correct use for each one, and teach them to the rest of my team. I want to make a list of things you have to do to get better results and how to combine them for it. 

Does anyone has an example using "Boosted Model" tool? And which tools do I have to combine it with?

Thanks,

MAC

12 REPLIES 12
SeanL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

MAC,

If you are using version 10, check out the predictive examples (Help ->  Sample Workflows -> Predictive Analytics -> New Donor). The example demonstrates how to set up all of our classification models, and how to compare their performance against a hold-out set using the Lift Chart tool. I've also found the following link to be very helpful in understanding the different models available in our predictive suite:

https://www.statsoft.com/Textbook/Boosting-Trees-Regression-Classification/button/1

Creating this set of examples and a "cheat sheet" is definitely a great idea, and I am sure our whole community would be grateful if you shared your results afterwards.

Thanks,

Sean Lopp
Client Services Representative
macabrera
7 - Meteor

Thanks!...

I am doing it in Spanish... Because I have to teach them how to use it in Spanish... I live in Panama. But of course I will share it in this thread, and maybe some one in the comuniity who speaks Spanish can also complete it and correct it if there are any mistakes :)

Thanks again...

MAC

DrDan
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@macabrera, a quick tip for the Boosted model tool is to go to the tool's "Model customization (optional)" tab and experiment with the "Interaction depth" option. It defaults to 1 (linear, or main effects only), but often better out of sample fits occur when you set the level to 2 (two-way interactions) or 3 (three-way interactions). In the New Donor example to which @SeanL refers, the Boosted model fits the validation sample better using either two- or three-way interactions. In addition, you can speed model estimation up using cross validation to prune the tree ensemble if you increase the number of cores used for this process (an option also in the "Model customization" tab). I have four virtual cores on my machine (two actual cores, which can process two threads each), and I set this number of cores used to do the cross validation to two, which nearly halves model estimation.

macabrera
7 - Meteor

Hi!.

I did  a guide for Predictive tools. The problem is that it is in Spanish. I am sure that we have in our Community people who will find it usefull. 

Maybe some one can read it and correct ir if i made any mistake.

Thanks, 

MAC

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This looks like a great guide...too bad my Spanish is from 40 years ago and 1st year High School. Well, there's always Google Translate. Smiley Wink

SeanL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@macabrera I second Rod - this looks awesome but is above my spanish skill set. However, we have some fluent speakers and are working on translating/reviewing the document, and will hopefully be able to post an English version!

Thanks,

Sean Lopp
Client Services Representative
PoornimaF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hola Mac,

Muchisimas gracias por creando este guía discutiendo las herramientas predictivas en Alteryx. Me encanto ver los diferentes tipos de análisis. Esperemos crear guías similares en Inglés y otra lenguas a través de la iniciativa de localización.

Saludos,

Poornima

Product Manager, Localization

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

And in case anyone wants to know...a Google Translation of Poornima's response...Smiley LOL

Thank you so much for creating this guide discussing the predictive tools in Alteryx . I loved seeing the different types of analysis. We hope to create similar guides in English and other languages ​​through the initiative of location.

Inactive User
Not applicable

It looks great! I will have a look at it, it will be useful for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Pablo

Labels