Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optimal Routing

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

It seems to me I've seen this before but I can remember where.  I'm looking for a way to put in multiple address and determine the optimal route to hit them all.  Does anyone know if this app exists in the gallery or is in a blog somewhere?

Thanks!

Brad

23 REPLIES 23
KuoL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Awesome Atabarezz! I'll add you to our Optimization beta tester list. We're hoping to roll it out in the next couple of weeks! Stay tuned.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

How far along is the beta program?  I'm interested in these tools.  Esri has some good functionality using route networks, but having this in Alteryx would be amazing.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Optimization tool was released with 10.6 several months ago.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Liner programming is in the toolbox already exatly,

the thing is that the current optimization module and the routing optimization are not directly the same thing,

routing is a little bit more complex and it's probably a mix of MILP and some heuristics and it needs data and fine tuning for huge calculations...

We are looking forward to it...

KuoL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Mixed integer linear programming (MILP) is also in the tool box actually. Routing is definitely more complicated and we currently don't have any samples for routing problems. However, if you have the mathmatical form ready, you probably can use MILP and give it a try. Let us know how it goes. We are also hoping to put more optimization examples together with the tool. 

gcarmich
7 - Meteor

Has anyone had success in solving the Traveling Salesman problem using the Optimization tools or other Alteryx tools?

CTAB506
5 - Atom

Jon - Was this project ever finalized. I have a use case for this and wondering what Alteryx has developed.

Chris

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

It sounds like there might be a solution coming soon.  Or at least, they are working in this direction for the Inspire 2017.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Inspire-2017-Tech-Track-Ideas/Predictive-Analytics-with-a-Spatial-E...

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

gcarmich
7 - Meteor

Just to add a twist to the Traveling Salesman Problem, I read an article last week about how UPS delivery trucks are routed to favor right turns to optimize delivery routes.  For local routing, I wonder if preferring right turns could be built into the optimal routing workflow?

kurtwz
8 - Asteroid

Bridget, please include me as a beta tester as well.  Thank you!  Kurt

Labels