Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Network Analysis Tool

Tim_Napier
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all

I've downloaded my contact data from LinkedIn, I was hoping to put it into the Network Analysis tool and show off my contacts etc. I keep getting

Error: Network Analysis (16): Tool #4: Error in graph.data.frame(d = x, directed = directed, vertices = vertices) :

When I try to do this.

Can anyone shed some light on what I should be doing? The workflow is attached. I am thinking it is something stupid like column names wrong, or a missing column or ....

Thanks for any input

22 REPLIES 22
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @HK,

When you ensure that everyone in your [to] column is in your original node mapping, the top graph outputs correctly.

As for the bottom tool, there is something about your data that isn't allowing the algorithm fastgreedy.community to be used.  It runs with infomap.community.  Be advised that simply beacuse the tool runs, does not mean it will produce the results you want.  The best option is always to know the difference between the algorithms, and how you are using your results.  Stackoverflow is a good resource for researching these differences.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9471906/what-are-the-differences-between-community-detection-algo...

HK
6 - Meteoroid

This was helpful CristonS.

Do you know if it is possible to remove the "Centrality Distribution" stats and bar graphs from the final output.

I am basically only interested in the "Network Visualization" graph being returned in my output.

I am also noticing that the graph runs extremely slowly based on the number of Nodes, any suggestions around it?

Regards,

HK

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @HK,

I don't believe so.  The R Tool here uses a package called AlteryxRviz, which provides functions that drive interactive visualizations for the predictive tools in Alteryx (Time Series, Network Analysis).  So it's not just fiddling around in the R code, but modifying that package specifically.

HK
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @CristonS

manoj
7 - Meteor

Can you please send me the input file which you have used for ( linked in network to me company.yxmd )

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi all!

I stumbled across this today and first of all wanted to thank @Tim_Napier for his great work on this.

I actually took Tim's workflow and created a full Macro out of it, feel free to use it.

You basically just have to put this Macro into a Workflow, feed in the Connections.csv from LinkedIn into the Macro on the left C Input. Then in the Macro Parameters type in your name and select a file path / Name for the HTML Report file to be written to.

The I Output of the Macro will have the Interactive Report, the D Output will have the data table and then additionally there will be the HTML Report written in the folder you specified before.

Have fun with it!

TimNapier
5 - Atom

@OliverW wrote:

Hi all!

I stumbled across this today and first of all wanted to thank @Tim_Napier for his great work on this.

I actually took Tim's workflow and created a full Macro out of it, feel free to use it.

You basically just have to put this Macro into a Workflow, feed in the Connections.csv from LinkedIn into the Macro on the left C Input. Then in the Macro Parameters type in your name and select a file path / Name for the HTML Report file to be written to.

The I Output of the Macro will have the Interactive Report, the D Output will have the data table and then additionally there will be the HTML Report written in the folder you specified before.

Have fun with it!

Nice to see it found a good home! Thanks for the kind words @OliverW

bb213
8 - Asteroid

I'm having  a problem where my workflow runs, but the sheer number of relationships that it contains means that Alteryx cannot render the network diagram.

I have 3910 records in my "From-To" and 3916 unique entity names. Is there a way to filter my "From" and "To" so that it only takes certain "From" values and all their associated "To" values?  

For example, in the example below, say I only cared about "a", I would need to take the corresponding "to" value to get "h", then look up "h" in the "from" to get  "k", then look up "k", etc. 

So really, the only relationship I would want to see is a -> h-> k->m->z.  Is this possible to do? 

fromto
ah
bh
ch
dh
eh
hk
ik
lk
km
vm
mz
0340gab
5 - Atom

have you found the solution I also have the same problem

lmorrell
11 - Bolide

@bb213 @0340gab 

I've been looking up network charts recently and came across these posts. Sequencing a single object is one of those things I come across often enough to have a macro for, so I've attached it to this post. Hope it can save a bit of time for anyone that comes across this in the future.

Cheers

Spoiler
Sequence.png

Labels