Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro Text Box Question

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hello,

How can I allow for a free type text box with more than one column and correctly show that in the interface designer?

I would like to be able to type in some variables and their corresponding values to be used in a formula at the end of a macro.  Is there any way to do that? See picture below:

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It seems like what you really would need is 7 different apps, one for each line, that you could then use as parameters in your filter tool in your workflow. See attached for an example (version 11.3). By using different apps, one for each question, you can take advantage of setting max/min values for numeric fields, or limiting to certain selections using a drop-down tool, etc. Hope that helps!

AppPrompts.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Thanks @NicoleJohnson.  The issue comes to the variables being linked to whatever predictor variables are chosen and thus,the rows need to be dynamic. 

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Ah, okay, I see... Then you might look at using the Multi-Line option in the text tool, and then just providing additional instruction on how to enter your selections. See attached... basically, indicate how you want your variables separated (i.e. identify the delimiter to use), and then instruct the user to enter a single variable-value combination per line. You can then feed your results into a text field and use two Text to Columns tools to parse out the variables & values (split to rows by newline to separate different entries... and then split to columns using your specified delimiter). You could then use Cross-Tab to pivot the data to show your variables as headers and the values selected below each header.

Does that help? I'm not aware of a tool currently that will allow you to set up multiple individual text boxes (though there are a few Alteryx wizards out there who might have other ideas)... but this method at least would allow for any number of variables.

NJ

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Thanks @NicoleJohnson

jbh1128d1
10 - Fireball

Hi Nicole.  Now that I've used this, could you explain what the first parse text with a "/n" delimiter is doing?  I notice it does not work without it. 

Labels