Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Is Microsoft Azure Marketplace replaced by Cognitive Services?

bobpeers
9 - Comet

Hi,

I just installed the Microsoft Starter Pack that includes the Azure ML Text Analytics, however it seems that the macro is using the older version using the https://api.datamarket.azure.com/data.ashx/amla/text-analytics/v1/GetSentiment endpoint whereas the new Cognitive Services uses https://westus.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/text/analytics/v2.0

Do you know if there is a difference and if Microsoft intend to phase out the DataMarket version anytime soon? Do you have plans to update the macro to use the new Cognitive Services?

The new site us here: https://www.microsoft.com/cognitive-services/en-us/text-analytics-api

thanks,

Bob

7 REPLIES 7
JPKa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Bob,

First off, thanks for alerting us to this change.  

Second, after some research, it looks like the service behind the endpoint is identical, and that this is more of a change to better consolidate the text analytics service with the Azure services.  Feedback from users in the past indicated that having to go to the datamarket site, which required different credentials than the Azure site, was confusing.  The change makes sense.  

The difference at this point looks to be purely a change in endpoint, without any change in the service behind it.  In other words, the current tool should provide the same capability as anything hitting the newer API.  

I'll work within my team to find out how quickly we need to make the transition to the new API.   

Thanks,

JP

JP Kabler
Lead Software Engineer, Assisted Modeling
Alteryx
bobpeers
9 - Comet

Hi JP,

thanks for the quick response and good to hear you'll keep an eye on the API to see when changes are required.

thanks,

Bob

alepique
7 - Meteor

FYI to Alteryx, I'm thinking that the connection using the old endpoint may no longer work with the Azure ML connector.

I can no longer add the Text Analytics to my Azure Marketplace account, it has to be done through the Cognitive Services page.  The keys provided on that page are entirely different from the Azure Marketplace account key.

Also, if I look, there's a notice on the Marketplace:

"DataMarket and Data Services are being retired and will stop accepting new orders after 12/31/2016. Existing subscriptions will be retired and cancelled starting 3/31/2017. Please reach out to your service provider for options if you want to continue service."

This explains why I can't add the service to my Azure Marketplace account, and why I don't see it in my account when I login.

Do you know if you'll be updating this connector to use the new API endpoints and keys soon?

JPKa
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

We are in the final stages of our new Azure Text Analytics connector which leverages the new API.  At this point it's in internal testing.  As soon as it is fully tested we'll be updating the Gallery with the newest version of the tool that uses the new API.  

Thanks,

JP

JP Kabler
Lead Software Engineer, Assisted Modeling
Alteryx
alepique
7 - Meteor

That's great news!  Good to hear that a replacement is underway.  Any rough estimate on when it's planned on being released to the Gallery?

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A replacement tool, Cognitive Services Text Analytics, that uses the new API has been released onto the Gallery.

bobpeers
9 - Comet

Thanks for the quick turnaround on this, great work!

Labels