Welcome to the ADAPT Discussions board! Please use this location for general questions regarding the ADAPT program. For technical questions, please check out the Designer Discussions Board. For AFG general questions, please check out our new General AFG Discussions board!

ADAPT Discussions

Discuss and build your skills with others who have been impacted by COVID-19.

Finished Udacity Nanodegree! And a Question-

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

Hooray!

I finally finished my Udacity nanodegree, thank you ADAPT program! I have a few weeks left on my Alteryx license so I am going to look into the geospatial tools which I have not had a chance to play around with yet. 

I will also take the Udacity free course on SQL, which seems to be pretty easy and necessary for my resume as well as Tableau.

I am basically doing a complete career shift, with no work experience In this field beyond using Excel and Access. So, I am focusing on getting a really solid skill set in order to just be considered for an entry level position. What am I missing? I took the free Differential Statistics course, should I do an Inferential Statistics course?  I am not planning to start a job search until the new year so I have a few more months to upskill. Thanks again!

StellaBon

2 REPLIES 2
treepruner
9 - Comet

Congratulations!

I am Tableau certified associate and it is also a nice tool to have in your toolkit, too. The Tableau 2020 Conference ish was last week and one of the sessions was on interactive resumes. I haven't gotten back to watch the sessions, but I think this site is an example on an interactive resume.

treepruner_0-1602728529728.png

Udemy has some really inexpensive, like < $20 USD Tableau courses that can get you up and running. Look for anything by Kirill Erenemko. Get the whole overview first, then look for something specifically for exam prep.  I think my Tableau Certified Associate exam was $250. The exam is proctored and you are limited to a single screen. So, if you are used to plugging your laptop into a docking station with a large external monitor, you really have to practice on a tiny screen! 

A better and cheaper solution might be to build a Tableau portfolio with Make Over Monday projects. Watching the reviews online is also useful.

Sarah

StellaBon
11 - Bolide

@treepruner Thanks so much for this detailed and helpful suggestion! I will definitely look into this!