Welcome to the ADAPT Discussions board! Please use this location for general questions regarding the ADAPT program. For technical questions, please check out the Designer Discussions Board. For AFG general questions, please check out our new General AFG Discussions board!

ADAPT Discussions

Discuss and build your skills with others who have been impacted by COVID-19.
SOLVED

ADAPT Week 1, Day 5 TRY IT Activity Unsure of Instructions

Leeia_I
9 - Comet

Hi!

I am completing the activities for Week 1, Day 5. I am unsure of what the instructions circled in the screenshot is telling me to do. I have saved the .yxtf from the last exercise, but I am unsure on what it's asking beyond that. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Leeia_I ,

I think you have to configure your Input tool to point to your file from the previous exercise and then the Select tool should automatically do the work from what I understand.

Also you can check by comparing the output of the Select tool and the text input "Target".

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste

Leeia_I
9 - Comet

Thanks @Jean-Balteryx !

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was not loading the saved document from the previous exercise correctly. 

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi,

I am at the same spot on the exercise. How did you able to get the right file from the previous step. I changed FirstName and LastName field size and renamed Customer ID and saved the field configuration by going to options and save field configuration on my computer hard disk. When I try to connect the saved file from my hard drive to the input tool, it is giving me FileID does not match FileHeader.

Thanks

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hello,

I want to follow up on your answer to the problem to the other student. So my understanding is that we save the field configuration from prior select activity ( changing field sizes and renaming) by going to options in the configurations and using the same name CustomerFile3 on our computers (that is where I saved it), then on the last activity we click input data tool and go to its configuration window and connect the file we saved above and then attach select tool and that should output the changed fields. Is that correct?

Thanks

Leeia_I
9 - Comet

@Inactive User perhaps that is another way to do it. The only thing that I did differently from what you just explained is I loaded the file from the previous activity directly into the select tool (using Options).

I was a little confused because I was trying to load it into the input data tool, and it didn't work. 

Inactive User
Not applicable

@Leeial thanks for your attempt to answer my question. I thought my second post/ question was in reply to alteryx staff that replied originally to your question; so can a staff help me with this question. I am not able to get the target output. Thanks

Leeia_I
9 - Comet

@Inactive User ,

Here is what I did step by step after saving from the last exercise: 

-Drag a Select tool and connect it to the Input tool

-Under Options->Save/Load, select Load Field Name & Types

-Choose your file that you save from the previous activity. Make sure it's a .yxtf file

-Select Run

If these steps haven't worked, the other things I would try is make sure that you're pointing to the correct file when you load it to the Select tool. 

Also, I would try to re-save the previous activity just to verify that the correct output was saved correctly. This is what I had to do.

I understand your point. @Jean-Balteryx has helped a lot of people in here. I think that the point of the Alteryx "Community" is to create a collaborative environment so that we all work together to solve problems. The more you learn, the more you help others on your path. In my experience in the tech industry, this seems to help the person who answers the question just as much as the person who asked the question, so collaboration is highly encouraged. As you progress, I hope you will contribute to this learning community and help other students as well. 

Good luck!

Leeia