Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Gallery Vs Alteryx Server

Shantanu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I understand gallery is a cloud based offereing where analysys could share their workflows. However, isn't Alteryx server the same ? Where analysts within the organization could upload their workflows for other analysts to run and view and schedule ? SO if I have an altryx server up and runnig on suitable hardware, would there be a need for Alteryx Gallery ? What are the use cases for having a server vs Alteryx gallery ?

Please could you let me know ?

Thanks in advance

Shantanu

5 REPLIES 5
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You are correct that from a product standpoint, the Alteryx Public Gallery and the Private Server are the same. The Gallery is the Alteryx instance of the Server that is made available to the public. 

The Gallery provides an Alteryx Designer user access to their own private studio where they can publish apps and then share them either publicly or to restricted sets of individuals through Collections. (By virtue of owning Designer, they have free access to a Studio in the Public Gallery.)

The private server would be used where a company would like to have users in their organization consume Alteryx Analytic Apps within their own firewall. This would be typical of enterprise-sized companies, and they tend to not want their data outside of their firewall.

Just to mention a few points of differentiation (there are more):

• Apps on the Public Gallery cannot access database platforms inside a company firewall.
  • Private server provides more flexibility around authentication (a company can use Windows Authentication) and control of access (since they can "curate" their own environment).
  • There is currently no restriction to the number of users on a private server that can consume the apps.
  • The private server provides another entire set of functionality around automation and being able to schedule workflows as needed. The Public Gallery does not provide this capability.

An example of a use case where a company might utilize the Public Gallery and still have a private server would be where the company has RE agents around the country assessing sites for new locations. They would like to have information available related to demographics, etc. about a certain area. Since the information is typically 'generic' and not company-sensitive, that app could be made available on the public Gallery so that the agent could access it without having to VPN into a company's network

One other point to note (since I mentioned "sensitive" data in my example)...while these companies have security restrictions around information outside their firewalls, data housed in the Public Gallery is encrypted and not accessible to anyone. The issue is really around the IT policies of the company.

I'll mention @KoryC and @JohnF who may be able to provide more examples (or corrections Smiley Wink) to my comments.

Thanks for your question!

Shantanu
6 - Meteoroid
Thank you!! This helps. So just one more query around this:

If I publish to a private gallery rather than a public one, this means obviously that not only the data is encrypted but my apps can be seen only by audience with whom I share the link to my private gallery right?

Thanks and Kind regards,
Shantanu
Shantanu
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you RodL!! This helps. So just one more query around this: If I publish to a private gallery rather than a public one, this means obviously that not only the data is encrypted but my apps can be seen only by audience with whom I share the link to my private gallery right?

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Well, the same is true for an app you publish to either the Gallery or private server. In neither case is the app visible to others (except those within the same Studio that you publish to) unless you choose to share it.

You share an app by either "making it public" or putting it in a Collection. Of course, in the private server instance only people within the company network would have access to the private server to begin with. So keep in mind that when you make an app in the private server "public", it is really only "public" to those within the firewall (but everyone with access to the private server would be able to see it).

Hope this clarifies...if not, please let me know.

Shantanu
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, this helps.

Kind Regards,

Shantanu