Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained Apps: Skipping Steps

Ashishc
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Users,

I have a series of 3 chained apps with output(s) from one flowing to the next. My proflem is two fold:

1. Input for the third app is one of the outputs from the second app, however, the input file in the third app is not getting refreshed despite the output getting created properly from the second app. What am I missing which is stopping input for the third app from getting refreshed?
  2. The third app is conditional based on if the user selects anything in the second app, i.e., the user can opt to select nothing in the second app. In this case the third app should not run, how can I ensure this?

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

5 REPLIES 5
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Would it work to use a Test tool in the 2nd app to test for any records NOT being written? This would throw and error, which  you could then chain the next event to run app #3 if no errors were present in #2.

I haven't tested this, but would seem to fit what you need.

DanC

Hello Ashish,

I emailed you earlier today to see if you would like to discuss this via WebEx. Please let me know. Thank you.

Dan Chapman

Dan Chapman
Program Manager, Customer Support
New to the community? Get started here.
DanC

Hi Ashish,

After further review of your workflow, it was determined that the output from the 2nd app that was being used as the interface input in the 3rd app was not being refreshed because you were performing some additional data prep and transposing of that data in the 3rd app before it was being fed into one of the Interface tools. Since the workflow is not yet run when opened by the user, this data was not getting refreshed until the workflow was run at least once. My recommendation is that you do all of the data prep and transposing in the previous app to the data that is being used as the interface input in the 3rd app. That way the data is already in the format that you need with the 3rd app opens and does not need to be processed first.

Regarding not running a subsequent chained app if the user selects nothing from the previous app - this is not possible without purposely having the 2nd app throw an error, either by using the Error Message interface tool or a Test tool. This would prevent the 2nd app from completing successfully, which would then stop the 3rd app from "Running on Success". You mentioned that you did not want the user to encounter an error message, but that will not be possible.

Thank you!

Dan Chapman

Client Services

Dan Chapman
Ashishc
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot, Dan for all the help and working with us on this. Really appreciate it!!

DanC

My pleasure, @Ashishc!

Dan Chapman
Labels