Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
ChadM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Editor's note: The Alteryx Public Geocoding App has been discontinued from our Public Gallery, effective 2019-06-20. Our Location Insights bundle offers geocoding capabilities.

Alteryx has many different use cases ranging from big data diving to process automation to demographic reporting, but one feature that has always stood out for our customers is the ability to geocode an address within an Alteryx data stream by utilizing our native geocoder.  The Alteryx Public Geocoding App on the Alteryx Analytics Gallery is a prime example of this functionality.

Let’s begin with the basics: What is geocoding?  Geocoding is the process of finding associated geographic coordinates, such as latitude and longitude, from other geographic data, such as a street address.  These geographic coordinates can then be mapped and entered into Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or other analytic platforms (such as Alteryx) for further analysis. 

So what makes the Alteryx Public Geocoding App so special?  The Alteryx Help files state “The Geocoder tool places a point object based on address interpolation by converting a multi-line address into a normalized form, with latitude and longitude, spatial object, and additional fields specific to the coding process.”  That may make sense for a few folks out there, but for the rest of us the app utilizes our address point methodology to quickly and accurately determine the geographic point of that address.  In other words, input an address, get a latitude and longitude.  This is vital in that you as the user can further analyze an address with analytic tools, such as Alteryx.

Wow, now what is address point methodology?  First, we take the address and run it through CASS.  This solves two issues.  It first determines whether or not it’s a valid address, then cleans up that address for matching.  Next, we match that CASSed address to a database of addresses that have also been CASSed.  This provides a lat/lon accuracy at the rooftop level (very accurate, highly desired).  If there is no match, Alteryx takes a look at the address itself to determine an approximation of the address (still highly accurate).  For example, if the address is 150 Main Street, and the geocoder knows that block A contains addresses between 100 and 199 Main Street, our geocoder places the point half way through the block.  Finally, if there is still no match, the geocoder places the point at either the Zip +4 centroid (very accurate) or Zip centroid (not very accurate).

Why is all of this important?  Geocoding plays a vital role in a large portion of our daily lives, whether or not we are aware of it.  For example, creating a demographic model of retail stores with 5 and 10 minute drivetime trade areas needs to start from a single point. 

If we have an address, our geocoder will provide that necessary point the Trade Area tool needs to create the drive time polygons.  A different example?  Let’s say it’s lunch time and I am trying to use Alteryx to find all of the restaurants within a 5 minute drivetime from our Boulder office…all I need is our office address, and voila!  Geocoding!

Comments
jagjit_singh
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is there a guide on how to use the geocoder app in an Alteryx workflow? I have an address field in my database and would like to get the lat & long.

Thanks

Jagjit

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jagjit

This app uses a few add-on datasets to do the geocoding, so even if you were to download the app you would need the dependencies to run it. You can either run your file through the gallery app and save the rusults to use in Alteryx Designer, or you can get the add-on spatial datasets, which come with a geocoder macro as well as a more robust version of the app referenced here. Hope this helps.

Tara

Umeshlohani
5 - Atom

Hi,

Is there some guide on how to use Geocoder App in workflow or create new one . I have a Address & Zip code info in my dataset , & i want the Laitude , Longitude info. for the same.

Regards

Umesh

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

There is a Help file explaining how to use the Alteryx Geocoding App here: http://help.alteryx.com/10.1/index.htm#AlteryxGeocodingWizard.htm

If you have specific questions, be sure to post in the Advanced Analytics Discussion Board

hamdylie
7 - Meteor

Does the app work for verifying/finding an international address (outside the States)? Thanks.

Dennis87
5 - Atom

What will be great is after you tell us how great Geocoder is then you show a step on how to create 1

ssupkowski
5 - Atom

Hi,

As the project is discontinued, is there any chance that someone has workflow or details how it was created?