Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Variable into file Path

mbsaad
5 - Atom
Hi,

How can I insert a variable in a file path to load automatically many field.

thank you
3 REPLIES 3
jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If all of the files have the same fields and field types, you can use a wild card in the input tool. C:\DataFile*.csv would open all csv files that start with "File".

Alternatively, you can try using the Dynamic Input Tool to pass through a list of full file paths if they have the same structure and you know exactly which files you want to open. Apply the variable to the list before it enters the Dynamic Input tool and set the Action to "Change Entire File Path"

- Jarrod

ssjl
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

What about the scenario that I need a wildcard for a directory and in a file name at the same time?  For instance I have a folder for a month, "Sept" and 30 subdirectories, one for each day.  In each of the DAY directories are 7 files that share identical schema and name with corresponding files in the other DAY directories.  I've tired C:\MyDirectory\Sept\*\FileName*.xls but that doesn't seem to work.  Can you help me figure this out?

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The Directory tool will read in files from SubDirectories. Would that work for what you need?

Labels