Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tag/Word Cloud

HM
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm currently importing a dataset from a Microsoft SQL server with multiple fields but I only want to use one of those fields (i.e. action field) to create a tag/word cloud in Tableau.

Some articles specify that the tokenize node should be used but I only want to break up the actions into words (stored in a single field) and filter out the common words before exporting it into a Tableau file - is this the right node to use?

Thanks,

Heidi

6 REPLIES 6
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi HM,

This would normally be done by breaking the field into individual words, hence the mention of the Tokenize node. You can either use the Text to columns tool on 'space', with split to rows selected, or the Regex tool with tokenize > Split to rows selected and '\s' as the Expression.

To work out the most popular words, you can then just use a summarise tool with Group By & Count, followed by Sort-Sample or Filter. I tend to also remove any words under 3 characters and have an exceptions list to remove words like 'again'.

Kane

HM
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Kane.

Sorry I'm still new to this so I have a few questions - will all the words be stored in a single column/field? If the below was the input, could you please show me what the output would look like?

Action OwnerAction Created OnAction
A1/1/15Complete the template and send it to the appropriate team
B1/1/15Engage the reporting team for insights on past performance
C15/2/15Review governance model and communicate changes to the reporting team
A1/1/15Develop insights and reports
A23/4/15Create a word cloud report to identify themes
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

hi HM

see the attached demo which will help you to strart with 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi HM,

Attached. This is set to remove words of 3 letters or less, but has options to exclude other words and include back in some automatically excluded words. You should be able to get an idea from this of how to set up the workflow.

Kane

HM
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much - it worked perfectly! Smiley Very Happy

sj
5 - Atom
library(wordcloud) ListOfWords <- read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")$VectorOfWords AlteryxGraph(1, width=576, height=576) wordcloud(ListOfWords,scale=c(10,1)) invisible(dev.off()) This works too. IT's made from the r tool
Labels