Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Date vs DateTime comparison problem

gregh
7 - Meteor

If I use the type 'date' in a formula, with a comparison eg
[Duedate] < datetimeadd( [Quarter] , 3, 'months')   // where [Duedate] and [Quarter] are both 'date' types
this doesn't behave as expected for eg

QuarterDuedate
2016-01-012016-04-01
2016-01-012016-04-02

-> neither of these are due in the quarter, but if the fields have type 'date' , the top one will evaluate as 'true'

whereas if they have type= 'datetime', they will both be false.

also if I use the following formula then it will be correct: datetimetrim([Duedate],'day') < datetimeadd( [Quarter] , 3, 'months') 

why is this? (it causes unexpected behaviour and is very hard to find the cause) 

5 REPLIES 5
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

DateTiemAdd Returns a datetime rather than a date

the easiest is fix is

Left(datetimeadd( [Quarter] , 3, 'months'), 10)

Alteryx treats dates and datetimes as strings so this will make the datetimeadd appear to have returned a date as well

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79,

Isn't that equivalent to defining your variable in the function with a DATE field type?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@MarqueeCrew Yes if you store in an intermediary step.

If working with dates with the datetime functions then you need to truncate for comparison with dates

The DateTimeTrim function is silently converting the date to a datetime (i.e. appending 00:00:00 to the end of the date string).

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I agree.  I will post a generic "idea" in the community to simplify dates and their functions  I think that this is an area that can be improved for "ease of use".

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Built my own :) 

https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxFormulaAddOns

Will expand to have dateadd (instead of DateTimeAdd) and a set of time function in next week or so

Labels