Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Not able to publish the data to Tableau server, i am using publish to tableau server tool

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

priyaarisetti_0-1668648341024.png

Workflow fails after 7hrs and getting the below message.

• TableauServer.UploadChunks (238): Iteration #1: Tool #19: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Upload file) Error Code 401002: Unauthorized Access -- Invalid authentication credentials were provided. (Tool Id: 4)
  • Tool #252: Tool #4: Tableau Server API Request (Publish file) Error Code 401002: Unauthorized Access -- Invalid authentication credentials were provided. (Tool Id: 4)

Total Rows 132 million.

Any help much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @priyaarisetti , 

Could you please check & update the below,

• Which version of Publish to Tableau Server are you using?
  • Confirm the credentials are correct.?
  • A small data set can be published Tableau Server with same credential with no error.?

Regards, 

Ariharan R

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Server
Version: 2021.3.2.54175

yes, published small datasource and successful.

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @priyaarisetti , 

If you can publish to Tableau Server with less data,then it's not an Authorization issue. By default, the authentication token is good for 240 minutes (4 hours). After 4 hours, token is expired, and Tableau Server requires the new token for authentication. This is the reason you would see the unauthorized error when workflow executes for more than 4 hours of time.

Solution:
Increase Tableau’s session timeout limit command:
wgserver.session.idle_limit <minutes>

Regards, 

Ariharan R

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

I have increased to 300 minutes

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @priyaarisetti ,

But in this description, you mentioned it is running around 7Hrs right? We don't know how long your workflow will run for 132 million rows. Better increase it to 10 Hours and test. If it fails again, add more time to the timeout setting.

10 Hours => wgserver.session.idle_limit 600

Regards, 

Ariharan.R

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

yes that might be the reason. I have published my History file which took 5 hrs and succeeded. I am testing it on UAT, increased to 10 hours. 

I have a quick question, i saved whole file (133 million) as hyper file into my network drive. Is there a way to upload this file to Tableau Server.

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @priyaarisetti

Personally, I recommend publishing the hyperfile to Tableau Server using the Tableau Output tool or the Publish to Tableau Server tool.
This is because if you publish a hyperfile to a network drive and try to create a dashboard using that hyperfile, the file will be locked by the system.

To avoid the file lock issue, it would be better directly publishing the hyper to tableau server.

Let me know if this helps and please mark as solution if so.

Regards, 

Ariharan R

priyaarisetti
7 - Meteor

I have tested this on UAT environment (10 Hours => wgserver.session.idle_limit 600). it worked and workflow executed in 8hrs 10 mins.

Wonder is union used to take 4 hrs when the data was 132,322, 623.

Now data increased to 132,996,996  not much difference in total. Union took 8hrs...

Any thoughts on this.

Thank You so much for your prompt responses.

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @priyaarisetti

The union tool is doing a lot of field matching in addition stacking the records together (Based on the configuration). Can you try selecting the required fields using the Select tool before the Join tool.

Also check if your input (Excel) has any sheets. If yes it should be set in input tool.

Regards, 

Ariharan R