Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Best Route functionality with drive time

I would like to specify two points on a map and have Alteryx create a spatial object that represents the best route from one point to another given some parameters such as quickest route, or shortest route.
12 Comments
ChadM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
I've had two clients request this in the past few weeks. 
josh_chisholm
5 - Atom
I've had multiple requests as well. It would be awesome if Alteryx could handle this!
andrew_komaromy
6 - Meteoroid
ditto
Korem
5 - Atom
GraphHopper is a free API that can be run as a macro (using Openstreet map) that would probably returns a spatial object.

https://graphhopper.com/
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Hi There,

R has a package for calculating exactly this, https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdistance/index.html

you may find the relevan documentation explaning the theory behind it below, 

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdistance/vignettes/gdistance1.pdf

also there is an example on how to calculate a quickest path givien the topography, here is the catch, the grid below is calculated based on mountain slope data but if you happen to prepare a similar map based on;

• spots highly scored with lake side or ocean side view... you'll get the most pleasant route
  • grids scored based on traffic congession given time of day... you'll get the shortest drivetime based on traffic at that time

Screenshot 2015-09-21 05.37.58.png

lanny_newville
7 - Meteor

GraphHopper is only free for a small use case, but even so, it is not all that expensive either.

mandycgray
8 - Asteroid

This would be a highly-used addition by our retail operations and executive team.  Unfortunately, this is one request I receive often (monthly, at least), and its the rare case where I have to say 'no, Alteryx can't do that'.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Optimizing routes would be a great feature/tool!  I'd like something it to take into account routing rules that might be in affect for truckers.If there was a way for the user to enter the rules or link it to a site where rules might be provided form states.  Also, if there was a way to link to the fleet systems would be helpful.

DanH

I've had multiple customers request this feature. Since Guzzler evaluates routes already, it seems like most of the foundation would already be present. Use cases include

optimizing delivery routing and transit planning (pairing Allocate values in a route buffer for N alternative routes). I'm available to discuss the use cases PS has seen.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

any updates on this?! "route optimizer for Alteryx"