Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Learn the Basics with the Predictive Analytics Starter Kit

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

With the introduction of the Predictive Analytics Starter Kit, you can enhance your analytic skills through an interactive, guided starter kit that teaches core predictive modeling techniques (A/B testing, linear regression, and logistic regression).  

Contained in the Predictive Analytics Starter Kit are samples that will help you understand how:  

• A/B testing can be used to answer "How does a price change impact my bottom line?"
  • Linear regression can be used to answer "How can I predict how much a customer will spend?"
  • Logistic regression can be used to answer "How can I predict whether a customer will purchase the product I put on sale?"

The Predictive Analytics Starter Kit demonstrates the steps necessary to develop the dataset need for analysis, perform the predictive analysis, and analyze the results.

This is the first release of an interactive, guided starter kit and we'd love to hear your feedback on what works and what doesn't.  Please leave a comment to help us make future starter kits more intuitive and easier to use.

Comments
markusyk
7 - Meteor

Hi!

Did I fail to install it correctly or is the sample data missing in the installation package "Predictive+Analytics+Starter+Kit+Volume+1.yxzp"?
There is no "data" directory within "Supporting_Macros" directory as referred in "Preparing your data for logistic regression.yxmd" and I couldn't find the files elsewhere.

Could this be corrected? Otherwise this looks very promising!

Regards,
Markus

markusyk
7 - Meteor

Ok, found the missing data.

If you open the "Completed Workflows" submenu and select "2. Preparing your data for logistic regression.yxmd" you will find the correct path and data for "Input Data" tools.

Regards,

Markus

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@markusyk Glad to hear you were able to get things working.  I ran through it on a test machine and the files are where they're supposed to be.

After running the installation app, the files are installed locally to:
C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\DataSets\Content\Predictive_Analytics_Starter_Kit_Volume_1_20160627\Samples\

The sample workflows are ran from this location.  Within the Input Data tool, the datasets are added using a path relative to the workflow (e.g. .\Supporting_Macros\Data\Customer_info.yxdb).  Following the guided workflow, enter the path exactly as it appears in the tooltip. 

Hope this helps explain things.

DataBlender
11 - Bolide

As a newcomer to the predictive toolset, I've just stepped through the starter kit above and really enjoyed it.

I found the setup with the explorer box and the image as a template very intuitive and look forward to some more starter kits in this format.

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @DataBlender

BI_Analyst
5 - Atom

I'm only seeing 2 tools in the pred analytics starter kit.  I used Alteryx in a previous job and seem to remember there being a lot more tools.

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@BI_Analyst

A couple of suggestions:

1.  Install the Predictive tools

2.  On the far-right side of the tool palette (within Designer) click the + icon to configure the tool palette.  Within the "Configure Tool Palette" popup make sure that the Predictive categories are checked.

If you're still not seeing limited Predictive tools after doing the two steps above please reach out to support@alteryx.com

saikathalder
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I want to know how to use Alteryx inbuilt R models to create forecast. I want to use ARIMA model and holtwinter model. I have sales history of products already and alteryx designer license. Where do I start ?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
shakilarosli_
7 - Meteor

I have installed the starter kit, and it said it is already installed in the alteryx. But I could not find the sample demo. Isnt the starter kit should have the demo on how to start doing predictive? Not only the tools right?

StephenW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Please use this link, https://www.alteryx.com/starter-kit/predictive-analytics, to download the kit.

@shakilarosli_ 

After installing the kit, you can find the sample workflows by clicking Help > Sample Workflows > Predictive Analytics Starter Kit Volume 1 > samples

predictive-analytics-kit.PNG