Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

View Multiple Denodo Databases (VQB)

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

I am able to successfully configure connections (DSN or DCM) and query data from my company's instance of Denodo.  In Denodo, we have 6 different databases.  My problem is, when querying in the Alteryx Visual Query Builder, I can only see tables & fields from just 1 database.  The database I can see corresponds to the database within the ODBC connection.  This means that for me to view all 6 databases tables, I must setup 6 separate ODBC connections.  Is there a way to view all 6 databases within the same VQB window?  I will say in Excel I'm able to see all 6 databases.

7 REPLIES 7
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I don't use Denodo - so appologies. Can you confirm that in Excel you are connecting via ODBC? and if so - is database required to establish an ODBC connection (for some dbs - server/host is required by database sits under this structure - and is optional (ie Snowflake)). In cases like that - you would connect to a host/server and database could be selected at run time (ie in the tool) and you would be able to see cross database tables. If not - if database is required in your ODBC - I'm not sure how Execl is allowing you to see all of your DBs unless each is configured in ODBC, or there is a seperate method for excel to connect.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

Yes I am connecting via ODBC in Excel and it is required to specify the Database name in the ODBC settings.  I am also puzzled how Excel is allowing me to see all DBs when the ODBC connection is only pointed to 1 DB.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Do you happen to have more DBs set up in a different style of ODBC (ie some are in 32/some are in 64/some are users/some are system?)

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

No, nothing Denodo related.  I have a few SQL server DSNs that say 32/64-bit.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

One more question - I don't use Denodo - but is this maybe a syntax issue - ie catalog vs db or schema vs db? maybe the odbc only allows one db but multiple catalogs or multiple schemas and what you are looking for is at the schema or catalog level not the db level? sorry - just confused why it would work in Excel for the same ODBC.

bertal34
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell don't be sorry I appreciate the dialogue and you trying to help figure this out.  I thought maybe the same thing, that what I think are separate DBs are actually multiple schemas.  I also forgot to mention, say I have an ODBC DSN setup for "database1".  In Alteryx, I can see/query the tables in database1 AND I am able to write SQL and query data in "database2".  I cannot see tables in database2 but I can query it using the same DSN.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

TBH  - this sounds like the ODBC design is off. I'd recommend reaching out to Denodo.

Labels