Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Updating field values in-db?

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, love this community first and foremost, always very active and helpful, so thank you!

My question is this, 

I have a db table in postgres with snapshots of accounts. I have added a new flag in my latest snapshot, and a new column in the db to hold the flag. I would like to populate the flag for older snapshots where the account contains the flag in my latest snapshot. 

Would I use the in-db tools for this? If so, any recommended workflow? 

Thanks, 

1 REPLY 1
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Dan5 - Alteryx supports In-Database processing for PostreSQL. In-database processing enables blending and analysis against large sets of data without moving the data out of a database, which can provide significant performance improvements over traditional analysis methods that require data to be moved to a separate environment for processing.

Performing analysis in the database can save processing time. Using Designer as the interface, in-database workflows integrate easily with standard workflows for additional data blending and analysis.

Therefore, it basically depends on the volume of your data. If it is significant then you may want to use In-DB. If not, you may stick to standard tools. Also, the beauty of Alteryx is that you can test both options very quickly and decide, which one you’d like to use in your workflow.

You may also want to read the following community article and documentation:

Labels