Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Union except that every table keeps it's column names

LukeH
5 - Atom

I am trying to write a series of asymmetric tables into a single excel/csv file. The tables will generally have 4 columns where the names match, but ideally, I want to completely avoid using column names. I want the column names for each table written above that table.

Example:

Table 1

NameAgeIncome
John3040000
Barb3550000
Tom4045000

Table 2

NameStateHeightWeight
JohnOhio18582
SarahNew York17065
CarlaNevada18174

Output

Field1Field2Field3Field4
NameAgeIncome 
John3040000 
Barb3550000 
Tom4045000 

NameStateHeightWeight
JohnOhio18582
SarahNew York17065
CarlaNevada18174

This final table will get written to excel. The resulting column names (Field1, Field2, etc) will get dropped.

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @LukeH 

I suggest using the Reporting tools to produce this layout. Each table of value should go into a Table tool to create a layout field for that table. Then Union those table fields together and output with the Render tool.

See the attached workflow for an example and let me know if you have any questions.

LukeH
5 - Atom

Hi @CharlieS 

That is very interesting.  But there are a few additional issues with what I'm seeing here.

First, the resulting Excel File has some odd column positioning. The smaller table has merged columns. I don't know if this will be a problem further down the line.

I am saving the result as excel, but I was previously doing this with the "Run Command" tool, which allowed me to save the input as Excel and then call a python script using that saved file. Is there any way to parse the Unioned tables without the Render tool, which has no pass-through functionality?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

- Rendering to Excel will default to aligning fields right-to-left. To ensure a left-to-right alignment, you'd need to add the necessary fields ahead of time. 

- The Render and Output tools do not have passhrough, but for processes like this, you can use a Block Until Done tool to write a to a pre-determined path, and then pass that path to a subsequent connection on the Block Until Done tool, like the Run Command.

In the updated attachment, I also added a Layout tool so that the tables are merged to a single record before passing on to the Render/Run Command tools. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @LukeH 

A non-Reporting solution would look like this

w.png

For each table, use a Field Info, RecordID, Crosstab sequence to generate a row consisting of the the field names.  Union all the header and data rows for each table with a spacer in between them specifying the Output Order in the Union tool

u.png  

r.png

Dan

Labels