Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Tableau Output Tool - Datasource Exists ...on Another Server

cleigh
6 - Meteoroid

My company uses a sandbox Tableau server and a production Tableau server.

1. I use Alteryx (Publish to Tableau Server tool, now deprecated) to publish a datasource to both SBX and PROD,

2. I connect to a Tableau workbook and build using the SBX datasource,

3. I publish that workbook to SBX server, and then

4. A backend process publishes the workbook from SBX to PROD, linking the PROD workbook to the PROD version of the datasource.

The backend process relies on the SBX and PROD versions of the datasource having the same name.

I'm beginning the process of transitioning to the new, supposedly 'better' Tableau Output Tool. But so far, it will not let me publish a datasource with the same name to PROD and SBX. Even though the URLs are different for each server, and the datasource in question doesn't show up in the list of available sources in the configuration of the PROD output tool.

Any ideas? Any workarounds?

tableau_output_error.png

1 REPLY 1
csh8428
11 - Bolide

A LOT of people are having that same "Connection to platform was not successful"(including our company). We've been working with Alteryx for months to try to fix it. It has something to do with the certificate handshake between Alteryx and Tableau. Ironically, this error only occurs starting with Alteryx V2022 and higher. The new Tableau output tool does not have this issue in V2021.4.

The way around this is to use TabCommand(also known as TabCmd). It's a command-line tool built by Tableau that makes it so you can control Tableau server via API. Your version of Tableau server may require and older version of TabCommand than what's listed.

I created a macro(attached) that uses TabCmd to publish hyper files to the tableau server. It creates a hyper file to a folder of your choosing. It then pushes that hyper file to the server and overwrites that hyper file on the server. It will appear in the Connectors toolset.

There is nuance to using TabCmd that you may have to read through the TabCmd documentation to figure out. BUT, here's a couple things to know

1. The TabCmd app needs to exist on the server OR in a shared network location if you want to run workflows from the gallery
    1. A user can also run TabCmd locally from the shared location or from their PC as long as TabCommand is in those locations. You have to adjust the path in the macro config to account for that though.
  2. Whatever credentials runs the workflow also needs to have permission to the location where TabCmd is stored and Tableau server.
  3. The "users" that the workflow is running as needs to use TabCmd to "log in" using the TabCmd CLI ONCE before running any other TabCmd commands. This needs to be run anytime a user's access changes(password reset, tableau token expiration, etc...) I did NOT build that into this macro.
    1. Read the TabCmd documentation or google on how to use the various TabCmd CLI commands

Hope this Helps!

Craig

Labels