Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stuck on adding an Alteryx Server - Microsoft SSO

tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to connect Designer to our Server to start publishing workflows to the gallery. We are authenticating through Microsoft SSO. I'm able to connect to the Server URL and sign in with my Microsoft credentials however I get a "You can't get there from here" error message (see screenshot). The message says to install the Windows Accounts Chrome extension, however the embedded version of chrome in Designer is outdated so I can't install the extension.

Configurations: 

• I have Edge set as the default browser in my computer settings. 
  • Using the same version of designer and sever

Not sure where to go from here. Server is pretty expensive and so I want to start "proving" its worth but not able to do much at this point. I found the below thread but the resolution wasn't that helpful for my use case. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/MFA-requires-browser-update-wh...

11 REPLIES 11
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

this is the a chrome embedeed framework (CEF) security issue - and the problem is that there is an embedded browser in Designer. That browser is updated with designer updates. Your company requires chrome to be updated more regularly. Your workaround is to get an exemption to your companies update policy originating from designer (if on a static IP) - or when connecting to Server. Our final workaround after Server 3 apis were released was just to only connect between Designer and Server via API.

FYI - this was flagged to Alteryx as an issue three years ago. They should be aware of it. If you are are a recent Server customer - and Alteryx completed some kind of vendor questionaire - and your company specifically asked about this issue (embedded browsers) - you should reach out to your rep.

tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

@apathetichell thank you! appreciate you taking the time to respond and giving your company's workaround. We've only had server for 3 months so we'll def be reaching our to our rep. 

Denis_Diogo
5 - Atom

Hi tbuenaflor,

I get the same error as you. How did you or your company solve this issue? 

Thanks!

tcheng
6 - Meteoroid

Re: Stuck on adding an Alteryx Server - Microsoft SSO Curious to know if tbuenaflor is able to resolve the issue as well.

tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

Hi @Denis_Diogo  and @Denis1 - I needed to work with my IT department as they needed to make an exception. This was they response: 

I have excluded the "Alteryx SSO" app registration from the "Require all computers to be marked as compliant" conditional access policy. Please check and let me know if you encounter any issues.

Denis_Diogo
5 - Atom

Thank you @tbuenaflor !

In our case we updated the Alteryx Server to last version 2024.1 and it was resolved.

tcheng
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Denis. My understanding is that the major change with regard to this issue is that SSO authentication will now occur with your native browser outside of Alteryx Designer. Do you notice any other significant differences with this new version? I will be upgrading from version 2022.3.

tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

@Denis_Diogo Oh interesting! Thanks for the update. Did did you have to get any exceptions from your IT department or anything? Or was it seamless after updating to 2024 in that the SSO came up and you were able to sign in as expected with no errors? We running on version 2023.1. 

Denis_Diogo
5 - Atom

@tcheng exactly, only the browser being unembedded.

@tbuenaflor, We just update the versions and authentication is performed automatically.

Labels