Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sharing the Workflow that pulls data from Data Warehouse

rkakde
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using Alteryx Designer (Version: 2023.2.1.51 Patch: 1).

I'm encountering an issue where whenever I share a workflow with a colleague, they have to reset all the input connections and queries, which in turn erases the query, in order to run the workflow. Although we have separate credentials, we connect to the same data warehouse. However, sharing my credentials is not an option.

I'm seeking advice on how to create a workflow in Alteryx Designer that is easily shareable without compromising security. Is it possible that before the run starts it asks the user their credentials and use that in all the input tools?

Thank you!

RIshi
4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are these DB credentials? are you using a named db set up via odbc 64? Is this on canvas or in-db? 

These are all pertinent to the solution but

a) this sounds like a bug.

b) this sounds like a 2023.X bug

c) you can probably raise a ticket on this

d) you can probably fix this by downgrading

e) there's probably a work around  - (may I recommend dynamic input in-db - my favorite tool which gets 0 respect?)

rkakde
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your response.

I have an Oracle ODBC connection. I also have my credentials saved that I have added to this connection. This is what I use to setup the Input Data Tool.

But when my colleague opens it, he sees an error in the workflow. See the attached images for reference.

He has to manually re-configure all the input data tools to have his connection and then re-enter all the queries.

RIshi
moniquechan
5 - Atom

I believe the reason that the error is occurring is because your colleague's credentials does not match the credential you have in your input tool. One way to get around this is creating an alias for your connection.

Both you and your colleague should do the following steps:

1) Go to Option -> Advanced Options -> Manage Data Connection

2) Add a new Connection -> Other

3) Under Name put something that is consistent with your colleague (ex. "Oracle")

4) Put your credentials under Connection String (your colleague will put their own here)

5) Change your input tool connection to "aka:Oracle" (or whatever you named your connection)

Hopefully this works for you.

rkakde
6 - Meteoroid

That solved my issue. Thank you so much!

RIshi
Labels