Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sample tool - inconsistent data

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

Hello 

I'm trying to transform data that looks like this:

COMPANY NAME
COMPANY ACC
AVAILABLE BALANCE
****.**
BALANCE
****.**
COMPANY NAME
COMPANY ACC
BALANCE
****.**

The second part of the data I have doesn't have the "available balance" in. I've looked through here and see what I can do and came across the Sample tool but not sure how I can use it if my N number isn't fixed? I've also tried to use transpose and crosstabbing but no luck there either. Is there another tool I can have a look at?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you provide expected output?  Does your sample input provide an accurate view of what your full/actual data looks like? 

For what looks like the second record:

Do you want BALANCE to be in the same column as AVAILABLE BALANCE?

Would you expect the other two fields to be blank in the output?

Chris

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

Hi Chris

Sorry I should have stated that, my expected output needs to look like:

My expected output is:

COMPANY NAMECOMPANY ACCBALANCECCY
COMPANY 112345****.**EUR
COMPANY 2678910****.**GBP

I have attached a more accurate sample.

I need the BALANCE in the output and the AVAILABLE BALANCE can be blank.  

Thank you

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

@ChrisTX - sorry I forgot to click on Reply

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

If the Balance is "****.**", do you need to retain that in the output or can the value be blank?

Some of the Balance values are numbers like 1138125.89

If you want to include the Balance "****.**" values, the field will need to be a String data type, and you won't be able add up the values in the field.

Chris

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

It can be left blank :)

Thank you

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Using the data from your XLSX file, it looks like all values for COMPANY NAME and COMPANY ACC will be blank.  Correct?

Sample input data that is truly representative of your actual data is important.  In cases like this, we are basically adding tools to fit the specific data layout.

Chris

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Chris. 

COMPANY NAME will be filled in with all different entities/companies and COMPANY ACC will be a mix of numbers and letters as this is an IBAN account. 

I've updated the sample data. This is the exact format -- I have just removed and edited the company names, amounts and the IBAN numbers. 

Thanks

Quennie

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

The attached workflow should point you in the right direction.

ChrisTX_0-1676561294977.png

Chris

qgpl
8 - Asteroid

Hi Chris

Thanks so much for this workflow. 

Our replies must have crossed. I did try to use and play around with your workflow though however I'm still learning Alteryx and therefore couldn't transform it to my expected results. The only things missing from the output are the actual company names and company accounts. Could you advise what I can look into using to pull out this data? I was thinking of connecting it with the Record_ID i.e. Record_ID 1=Company Name 1? But then it's a bit risky as the data could move i.e if there are new companies added (which shouldn't be often)

I also forgot to attach the updated sample data previously but here it is.

Many thanks

Quennie  

Labels