Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Salesforce Input - data missing

clare_galvin
5 - Atom

Hi,

My organisation has recently started using Salesforce, so I'm new to the Salesforce connector.

When trying to input data from our Salesforce Prod environment, I'm finding missing records in some tables - a key one is customers missing from the Relationship object. They are visible in the frontend, and other attributes associated with them exist in other tables - their Product Packages are available in that object.

Our Salesforce architect thinks this is a problem at the Alteryx end not the Salesforce end.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

It's unlikely this is on the Alteryx/Salesforce connection end and this sounds like a weak answer TBH.  Are you running your permissions in PROD or a service account's permissions in PROD? If it's the later - can you confirm that the service account should be able to access those records? I'd start with the assumption that it's either an inaccurate permission, the records are not in the SOQL query or are being dropped in  workflow (ie you have a filter/join which is flagging them). I believe Alteryx uses the Python SFDC package under the hood - and it's pretty standard. 

clare_galvin
5 - Atom

It's running on my account, which has permission to interact with the records in Salesforce frontend. There are no filters or joins and the only condition in SOQL is "IsDeleted=False" - this is just purely reading in the data and then it does not read in all the records which show in the frontend (I found they were missing when they were dropped in a join so I looked at where they dropped out).

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Interesting! - How many records (approximately) are you seeing in Alteryx? Do you have Amp on? Any chance you can fork the Salesforce/Postman collection and send this as an API call and see the response...

https://www.postman.com/salesforce-developers/workspace/salesforce-developers/collection/12721794-67...

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/content/learn/modules/api_basics/api_basics_rest

If you run a query via REST wiht the same credentials and it differs from what you see in Alteryx - please open a ticket - that's something the product team needs to fix... revist this thread and I'll flag the connections team - or ask @BrandonB - who's super active here on community to flag the product team with a bug.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey everyone, I guess I’ve got a reputation for getting involved with the API questions! I’m curious if you are hitting the tables directly or are using a report built in Salesforce. There is a Salesforce implemented record limit for custom reports of 2,000 records (not an Alteryx limitation) You should have no issue querying an entire table directly with the connector or using custom SOQL. 

To the point above, I would also be interested to see if you get different results in Postman. These connectors use relatively straightforward API calls so I would expect Postman to return the same results as Alteryx. 

clare_galvin
5 - Atom

Hi, I am just using the Salesforce input tool on Alteryx not a Salesforce report - it is including over 2000 records, but not all the records visible in the frontend.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

What you could do is manually export the records from Salesforce to something like a CSV and then join that against the output of the Salesforce tool to see which records exist in the report that you aren’t seeing coming from the connector. 

One other thing it could be… can you add a browse tool after the salesforce connector? It is possible that you are just looking at a 1MB view of the data set which is the default coming from the anchors of tools. If you have a browse tool attached you will be able to see the entire data set with the browse tool selected. Definitely make sure that this isn’t the case before troubleshooting further. 

clare_galvin
5 - Atom

Hi Brandon, I've tested via filtering for a record I want that I can see in the frontend, and it is not in the dataset, it's not just the preview not including it.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'd recommend testing via rest vs Alteryx. that would eliminate the permission issue.  If you can eliminate this - and you are still seeing the issue (ie data is in the API payload- but not in Alteryx). Open a ticket.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I would also suggest making sure that you are using the latest version of the connector which as of today is v5.1.0 and can be downloaded from the Alteryx Marketplace: https://marketplace.alteryx.com/en-US/apps/417985/salesforce-tools 

This would rule out any potential API endpoint changes from old/deprecated connectors. 

You also have the option to do an ODBC connection rather than the connector if desired. Instructions can be found here: https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/salesforce-odbc-driver-setup 

Labels