Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SQL Code Not Pulling Appropriate Data

Inactive User
Not applicable

I have a SQL code in the input tool and the data does not want to load in. I am able to select star and bring in the data, however since there will be columns added to this database later I want too restrict this to specific columns. 

I see that the "ID" column is labeled blue and I think this is why there is an error. Since I am new to SQL I cannot figure out where this problem is coming from or why this comes through when it appears to be the same as all other columns that I call out.

Does anyone know why Alteryx is doing this?

13 REPLIES 13
Inactive User
Not applicable

This is coming from a SQL Server Database. When I test the query, it displays a pop up saying "A successful connection was made and no errors were found parsing the query". I have discovered that If I remove half of the query then everything will load including ID. Once I bring everything back, then the issue returns. Maybe it's simply just too many columns?

Inactive User
Not applicable

I added in a browse tool and that seems to be loading all the data, but no other tool want's to load this through.

There is no where clause, for this SQL code

In the log there are three messages

- Alias translated to odbc :driver - Details on this

- ODBC Driver Version: 03.80

- 2607 records were read from aka:spsql2019 - Details

Inactive User
Not applicable

I decided that I will just select star on this and then use the select tool to stop any new fields coming in. If there are any other solutions I am still open to give them a try but this will be sufficient for what I need.

rohityaman
8 - Asteroid

An alternate way I can suggest is to create a View in the database and then connect that with Input tool. This way you can fix/control the number of columns from source and you can avoid rendering extra data from unnecessary columns. If required, even filter conditions can be added to the View to further reduce the incoming data volume.

Labels