Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output to Named Range, with filename in field

DJordan14
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have a name range (let's call it 'Range1') within an excel file to which I would like to output the results of my workflow.

I also need to change the filename according to a field.

e.g. Workbook name - abc.xlsx

Named Range - Range1

Filename - abc.xlsx|Range1

The problem I have is that when I output to this filename, it outputs it to a new worksheet with the name Range1, rather than to the named range itself. Is there a way I can get it to recognise it as a named range?

Thanks
David

6 REPLIES 6
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

If Possible, can you upload your workflow. i need to see what you have missed on that

DJordan14
7 - Meteor

I've created a dummy workflow which is in a similar format.

I also sometimes get the message when opening the excel workbook that Excel found unreadable content. 

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

can you change the output option to "Change Entire Path" and try

path.PNG

MikeB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can output to a new Excel file using an explicit range (something like filename.xlsx|Sheet1$A1:B2), but if the file is new, there won't be any pre-defined named ranges to work with.

The Alteryx tools will operate on named ranges if they exist in an Excel file, but up to this point we have not implemented the creation of named ranges in new or existing files.

If this is an important feature for you, please submit it as a feature request here in the community (in the Ideas section) so it can be considered for a future release.

Thanks

DJordan14
7 - Meteor

Thanks Mike - although I already had an Excel file with the defined names within them.

s_pichaipillai - your solution worked insofar as it outputs to the named range, but I think I need to include the full file path within the filename as otherwise it just saves to the same directory that the workflow is saved in.

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

yes you need to specify the path . you ca use the formula tool to specify the path and map it 

refer the example below here

http://artisantechno.com/index.php/2015/12/20/alteryx-part-3-split-data-into-files/

Labels