Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output - Unable to open file for write - Alteryx Server

Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am writing different tabs in a same sheet through Alteryx workflow. The workflow works fine in Alteryx Designer with no errors and also output exactly getting written in respective sheets in a file.

But the same workflow throws an error when I run from Alteryx Server but the output is generated correctly.

Sometimes it throws an error like below but the output is generated correctly and sometimes it ran with no errors without fixing it.

Errors
• Unable to open file for write: \\client.barclayscorp.com\dfs-emea\GROUP\GLOBAL\SERVCO\RFT_Alt_Pro_Con\PC Alteryx Central\Repo Bid-Offer\Output\Feb 24\BO Reserve - With Exemptions.xlsx - Can't open file: \\client.barclayscorp.com\dfs-emea\GROUP\GLOBAL\SERVCO\RFT_Alt_Pro_Con\PC Alteryx Central\Repo Bid-Offer\Output\Feb 24\BO Reserve - With Exemptions.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32) (ToolId: 448)

What is this issue all about? How can I fix it?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I had the same issue... output to multiple Excel sheets worked fine when writing to my machine but gave write contention errors when writing to a (slower) network drive, likely due to Excel taking more time to shutdown after each sheet write.

If you have a later version of Alteryx, you should probably try Control Containers.
See Writing to multiple Excel Sheets in the same files... - Alteryx Community

If not, I can provide links to other options which use blocking tools. 

This idea https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Ideas/Enhance-options-for-Excel-output/idc... 

asks for better functionality when writing to Excel.  Could you add a Like?

Chris

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Sarath27 seems that you are filtering different keys and writing to different tabs on the same Excel, why don't you write all your output to different tabs using one output tool by specifying the key as the file name or some other common name for each keys? 

Sarath27
8 - Asteroid

Hi @binuacs

Thanks for your response. I acknowledge your solution here. In this workflow I have different keys for each tabs and all of the tabs written in the same file.

Final Path

\\client.barclayscorp.com\dfs-emea\GROUP\GLOBAL\SERVCO\RFT_Alt_Pro_Con\PC Alteryx Central\Repo Bid-Offer\Output\Feb'24\\BO Reserve - With Exemptions.xlsx|||Raw Pivot Book Level SP$

Pls kindly advise me if you have any work around w.r.t above solution, it would be a great help.

Thanks,

Sarath.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

See this Knowledge Base article:  Output to multiple sheets within an Excel file (alteryx.com)

Chris

Labels