Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Excel with Dynamic File Path AND With Dynamic Sheets

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I need to output in my Excel file dynamically the sheets based on a field value, so I selected this option. This is working fine so far.

Output Excel with Dynamic File Path1.png

However, I also need to output my Excel using a dynamic file path. So I also need to select this option.

Output Excel with Dynamic File Path2.png

Is there a way or a work-around that I could do in order to achieve both goals?

5 REPLIES 5
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@ricoo you are very close to a solution already!

Basically, what you are wanting to do is create a placeholder for the destination parent folder to drop the file in to, and then combine it with the other relevant fields you have made to create the destination file path.

In this example, I used a generic "/Desktop/Testing Folder-Testing File" placeholder. To adapt to your use case, I would change this out to the exact directory you are wanting the files to be stored and create a new field containing that information.

1 - Solution.png

At the end of this formula structure, you'll combine the relevant fields to build your output path that you will feed in to your Output tool like you have already done.

Attached is the workflow so you can see the example.

If this helped, please accept the solution and mark the post as "Solved" to assist other users who are running in to similar use cases. :)

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rzdodson, thanks for your response! It's not exactly what I was looking for, but let me try to incorporate that solution you provided. I'll feedback whenever I get new results.

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rzdodson it did work! I applied the logic you've provided to my workflow. My workflow is totally different, but the concept that you gave really worked for me. Thank you!

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@ricoo You are very welcome! Glad it worked out.

ricoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rzdodson , apologies if I wasn’t able to post the solution immediately. Here’s how I managed to do it.

1. Use a formula tool to store the value of the workflow’s directory.

SOLUTION_Output Excel with Dynamic File Path 0.png

2. Append the directory to the hardcoded .xls file name and the sheet name (which is going to change depending on the source data set).

SOLUTION_Output Excel with Dynamic File Path 1.png

3. Set the Output tool to Change Entire File Path and point the field to the Formula from above, just like what you suggested. It totally worked fine. Thank you very much!

SOLUTION_Output Excel with Dynamic File Path 2.png

Labels