Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to perform multifield validation and with different conditions

leotai
5 - Atom

Hi there, 

I am new to alteryx and got a situation that would love to hear suggestions from the community.

Let's say I need to validate the data in my alteryx workflow as below:

condition 1: If field_A  = X, then field_x, field_y cannot be null

condition 2: If field_A = Y, then field_x, field_z cannot be null

condition 3: If field_A  = X, then field_1, field_2 cannot be null

I have around 100 conditions in total. These conditions are not mutually exclusive, some records do fit into multiple conditions.

I thought the multiple fields formula might be helpful, but that might result in ~100 nodes in the workflow if I input one condition in each of the node.

The result I am looking for is to add a new column with the validation result.

"Mandatory field Check" 

----------------------------------

row 1 "field x is missing, field y is missing,"

row 2 "field z is missing,"

row 3 " "

row 4 "field x is missing,"

4 REPLIES 4
ShankerV
17 - Castor
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @leotai 

I am trying to build some solution which will work for you. Struck in inputting the data.

ShankerV_0-1671520941399.png

Can you please share the sample input data and sample condition and sample output.

So that you can apply the same on your huge dataset.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Hongsen_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @leotai ,

Agree with @ShankerV , some sample inputs + expected outputs would go a long way to help the Community understand this better!

But in the meantime, if I just base it off your initial sharing, there may not be a need to pull in 100s of tools - a simple Formula Tool might do the trick (though you do need to write out the logic to tell the platform what you need). Attached a simple mockup just to give a flavor.

Next up, I found this post here which shows what a workflow performing Business Rule Validation / Data Quality Checks could look like: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Data-Quality-using-a-list-of-business-...

Hope this helps!

Best,

HS

Teo Hong Sen
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
RogerS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Seems like you have to evaluate a few combinations of Values.  I'd use a formula to Concatenated fields for the different combinations.  Then create a table of the Values you need to check with the new column Value if it is met. you can then use the find replace function to append the values.  You will have to use a find and replace for each combination.

Labels