Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering Data to exclude all NULL rows

PXinni
5 - Atom

Hi, I've been trying to filter out the NULL rows with either the Filter tool or Data Cleansing tool but it's not working out well.

When I use the Filter tool, I input !IsNull on all the columns, which is the formula below.

"!IsNull([ACCOUNT]) AND !IsNull([TRANS NO.]) AND !IsNull([PD]) AND !IsNull([SOURCE] AND !IsNull([VOUCHER NUMBER]) AND !IsNull([VENDOR NAME]) AND !IsNull([DESCRIPTION]) AND !IsNull([DEBIT]) AND !IsNull([CREDIT]) AND !IsNull([BALANCE])" .

However when I take a look at the results, under TRUE, it's empty and under False, there's no change to original data.

When I use the Data cleansing tool, to take out NULL rows, the order of the data gets jumbled up. E.g. The first record at the top is supposed to be "0102-000-00" but it becomes "1011-000-00". The order of the data is really important as I'll need to use the multirow formula afterwards.

So, how do I fix this issue?

Thanks in advance :)

2 REPLIES 2
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PXinni for your issue with the Data Cleansing tool and the order being jumbled I would just put a Record ID tool before the Data Cleanse Tool and then a Sort Tool after the Data Cleansing tool as that should restore the order. 

The Data Cleansing tool is actually a macro which you can right click and open so you can look at the underlying tools/logic that is built in to remore null rows and replicate or improve it for your specfic scenerio. 

The Screenshot below showcases the tools that are used to Remove Null Rows.

Remove_Null_Rows_DC.JPG

PXinni
5 - Atom

Thanks, the second mtd worked well :)

But regarding the method in your first paragraph, the record ID helps however because the the data cleansing tool only removes the row if all the columns are empty, it ultimately doesn't take away the null values due to the record ID being there. So how do i go about rectifying this?

Labels